Low Volume on .WAV file

Is there any way to monitor through a headset what I will eventually get from the final mix?

Reactions: -mjk-
Edited
I don't want to flog this to death.
At unity gain for the Model 24, the only reasons for the signal level discrepancy between Reaper and the mixer is either
  • The meter measurement (VU vs dBFS), or
  • There's a unity gain or gain staging discrepancy due to something that may be influencing the signal (Trim control, compressor, EQ, fader precision, centered pan knob, etc). If this is the case, something is amiss and requires correction.
At unity gain, at all gain stage points, what goes in should be what comes out.
BUT

That means you do not have unity gain throughput on the mixer. Until you establish unity gain throughput (that's Zero VU input to output for the 16/24), you can't draw any conclusions about the level of what's being printed to the 2T SD card on tracks 23/24.

See this post in the Model 12/16/24 Tips & Tricks sticky for a discussion of Model 16/24 metering.

Analog VU (dBu) vs Digital dBFS
(From the Model 24 Level Diagram)

Zero dBu (zero VU) analog translates to almost -20 dBFS on the digital SD card.
Click to Enlarge
View attachment 2284
This is why the signal taken from the SD card plays at a lower level on the computer; and why an incoming -20 dBFS signal will be near or at Zero VU on the unit meters if unity gain has been established.

See this post for additional information.

This is information gold and should serve anyone interested in understanding both unity gain and even more specifically how the Tascam Model 16 and 24 boards meter. That should go a long way in understanding how to properly set up, monitor, record, and transfer audio.

All my thumbs up for this great effort and indeed those who are struggling might well be helped by getting this info firmly under their belt.

Thanks, Mark!

Is there any way to monitor through a headset what I will eventually get from the final mix?

I'm not sure you "get it" just yet. Watch your levels for proper input and output. Turn your headphones or Control Room outputs to adjust volume to suite your needs at the moment.

Volume and metering levels are two distinctly different things.

These devices do not have a Control Room function like a normal console. So, the way to get a monitor feed that represents what is going to the recorder is to use the main outs. I would buy a monitor controller and plug it into the main output of the mixer.

This somewhat-related thread talks about monitor controllers so I won't have to repeat myself:

https://www.tascamforums.com/thread...-powered-speakers-vs-dp-24sd.9299/#post-47835

Reactions: paddy_yo
Which monitor controller? It’s a long thread. I started to read it and if I understood the context of which controller, I’ll understand it better Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Which controller to use is a personal choice. I have the Behringer Studio XL. There are others but that one is the best I know of.

Reactions: paddy_yo

New threads

Members online

No members online now.