Mackie control strange behaviour on tascam dm-4800 and cubase

Elio

Gear owned
tascam dm-4800
Dear all,
I recentely bought a tascam dm-4800 with the firewire card extension to use my mixer as soundcard. Audio quality is fantastic, however I was surprized by the fact that I needed to add also the usb cable to my mixer in order to use the mixer as mackie control remote surface in cubase.
1) Is it normal?

2) I have added 3 mackie controls in cubase, the transport controls are related to port5 of midi devices proposed by the dm-4800. It works correctely, however I have to do the following steps to let it work properly:
1)launch cubase
2)press play on dm-4800
3)press stop ond dm-4800
4)press again play on dm-4800
5)press again stop on dm-4800

then

6) I have to press EXACTLY 48 times, one of the transport button on dm-4800 (play, stop or wathever) otherwise the transport buttons will not work.

After these stpes the dm-4800 control surface works without any problem, also if I close and launch again cubase. If I reboot the pc machine I have to repeat these operations. Any idea how to resolve?
I tested the dm-4800 on two machines:
1)desktop cubase 6.5 with windows 7 64 bit, i7 8gb
2)laptop cubase 5 with windows 7 64 bit, i7 12gb

Same problem.

In both cases the dm-4800 was plugged without any hub, but directly to the back of the machines.
Moreover I have uploaded the firmware of my machine to 1.70 to try to resolve this issue, but without any luck. To perform this operation I needed another windows xp 32 bit laptop, because when I was doing the firmware updating on my desktop machine ( cubase 6.5 with windows 7 64 bit, i7 8gb) the firmware updating was not able to pass the 5% of loading bar, and a "protocol timed out" message comes out.

Please help!

Thank you for you answers, I have exactly followed the pdf guide available through your link, but I still have the issue of pressing 48 times one of the transport button to let the transport commands to work properly. Any other idea?

Sounds like it might be a USB conflict or disconnect. Try loading the Tascam Mixer Companion(TMC) first, before launching your DAW. Also, try this boot up sequence: DM4800....>PC......>TMCompanion........>DAW.

If that doesn't help, then it's possible there's another device conflicting with the DM/PC USB communications.

CaptDan

I have the same exact problem ever since I upgraded to win7!! As Dan said, just load the TMC first before staring cubase and it will work 100% of the time. I can plug the exact same hardware into my old XP box and launch cubase without this problem. I've uninstalled every single USB device and their related drivers and it still does this so I know for a fact it's not a USB conflict. It has something to do with both Windows 7 and the Tascam drivers together on some machines. I thought it was Cubase but Dan said he has this problem with Protools too.

This problem is the one and only issue I have left with my "new" setup. Time flys quick as it will be 2 years this November that I've been living with this problem.

I wonder what the common denominator is for those of us that have this problem? I'd really like to see it fixed especially if it can be addressed with the if-FW/DM beta driver that's currently in development. I know Redbus has mentioned it being related to a USB windows 7 priority implementation but as I said, with the only USB device being the DM3200, I still have this issue.

Has to be related to specific motherboards? Mine is an intel dh67bl. I know the problem is before cubase because sometimes even on a fresh boot up, the device manager shows the DM3200 USB connection with the yellow triangle/exclamation point. But even when it boots up normally, it still doesn't work correctly in cubase unless I load TMC first.

Last edited:
You're also missing MIDI 3 on the USB port, That is your MTC. That's in Cubase also. Watch my video in the stickies section. I never had transport issues in Cubase with my DM4800 since SX3-6.07.

Reactions: Elvin Lewis
It's not just cubase though Ernie. The problem is independent of Daw
In the 2 years I've been troubleshooting this I've determined that It may be something with windows 7 and Dm3200 USB connection with certain motherboard systems/chipsets. I can plug in all of my gear to TWO different XP boxes and not have this problem with the transport either. The only difference being the OS and motherboard but not the Daw configuration. Launching TMC app once in Windows 7 before opening DAW corrects the problem 100% until next reboot. You're welcome to stop by and see for yourself one day after work! :)

For those having this problem, put TMC in your boot startup and call it a day.
I wish there was a real fix but 2 years of pulling every peripheral out, uninstalling every driver except the bare minimum, moving the PCI FireWire card to different slots, adding a USB card to bypass motherboard USB, chipset, etc. is enough!

Last edited:
But I'm using Win7 and all I'm saying is that I don't have this problem, so it's something that's good to know about.

Ernie, I'm not saying it's completely a win 7 issue. I believe there is something else in the equation. I think the problem is a combination of Windows 7 AND certain motherboards/chipsets. I think Captdan had this problem once he upgraded to windows 7 however you and others like ArjanP (who has nearly the same peripherals as me except for our workstations) don't have this problem. Fortunately the workaround is launch the TMC app first, then CLOSE the TMC app before launching any Daw. Why does this work...no foggen clue but it does every time.

Elio, would it be possible to hook up your DM to your XP box (assuming you have a copy of cubase on it) and see if you have the same problem? I am going to bet you won't. Also try launching and closing the TMC app before launching cubase in windows 7 and see if that fixes your problem.

Last edited:
Thanks to all guys, I will try what you suggested today or tomorrow. I am quite sure that on XP I will not have this problem, because as described in the first post, I was able to update the dm4800 only through an xp laptop from one of my friend. The desktop machine on which I have this problem has an asus motherboard. Instead the laptop with windows 7 64bit and cubase 5, having the same issue, was with a fresh windows 7 installation, and no usb devices were connected since the new os installation. However I don't know the motherboard chipset of this latter. Anyway I believe that it is a combination of win7/usb controller chipset issue as proposed by you. I will let you know if TMC opening before the launch of Cubase will solve. Thanks again!

I'm investigating an old Win7 SP1 upgrade bug that affected machines depending on how SP1 was installed.

Who is affected by this bug?

Anyone who updates Windows 7 to SP1 using the executable installer (i.e., windows6.1-KB976932-???.exe).

Who is NOT affected by this bug?

Anyone who installed a new copy of Windows 7 SP1 using an official integrated ISO (and it looks like homemade slipstreamed integrated ISOs are okay, too).

It appears that if your Windows 7 install was upgraded to SP1 using the standalone installer patch rather than the Windows 7/SP1 integrated release then only some of the USB drivers were updated. I found a utility that checks for the latest USB file versions and only if necessary updates them. Apparently the IT department at my job missed this one because my Windows 7 laptop had this version mismatch and the patch fixed it. I will check the version numbers on my DAW workstation when I get home. This is just a shot in the dark but the fact that this issue did exist, that I found it today on a workstation at my job that gets pushed updates from corporate on a weekly basis AND that it has to do with USB drivers which is what I suspect is causing the issue with my DM3200 USB connection as well as other devices...then maybe, just maybe this is the smoking gun as to why some of us have this issue where we have to load TMC first to "wake up" the USB port so that it works correctly in our DAW's. It would explain why some Win7 users have problems and others don't as it is related to how SP1 was installed. It will also explain why I don't have this problem using XP since this issue doesn't exist in that OS. If this isn't the fix then I truly give up trying to fix this!

Here's the link.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/th...USB-Driver-Bug-(what-it-is-and-how-to-fix-it)

The only thing that makes me skeptical is that this is a thread from 2011 and later on in the thread someone posted this:

The SP1 driver bug was a real issue, but has been fixed for quite a while now. It is no longer required if you install all the latest updates.

My computer was built by Sweetwater in December 2012 so more than likely this was resolved before they built my machine (but then again Sweetwater has not impressed me with this machine or their support so they could have missed this too). Also. I believe I am up to date on all the Windows 7 core updates (not the security updates) so I may already have the updated files but we will see. Again my work PC didn't so there's a possibility my DAW workstation missed this too.

Anyone else what to check? The quickest way to is:

1. Press the Windows Key + R and type CMD and then click on the OK button.
2. In the DOS box type: cd\ and then ENTER.
3. Type c:\windows\system32\drivers and then ENTER.
4. Type dir usbport.sys, usbehci.sys, and winusb.sys and then ENTER.

If any of the 3 files above have 2009 dates then you should run the patch here:

http://code.kliu.org/.etc/7601usbfix/

Or use the official MS patch:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2529073

Last edited:
I think Captdan had this problem once he upgraded to windows 7 however you and others like ArjanP (who has nearly the same peripherals as me except for our workstations) don't have this problem.

True. Took awhile before I obtained problem free access to all DAW features, including higher sample rates. All the fire wire troubles disappeared when I loaded the Win/Legacy1394 driver with the FW 1.30xx beta. However, I can still experience the occasional USB drop, 'hang' or conflict, most of which occur when I'm loading, unloading Ptools and Adobe Audition. Now, I just cold boot the PC when switching between those apps. Problem. Solved.

I think Charlie's on the mark, though; there seem to be issues between some mobos, Win7, and that 'hamster wheel' in the works. :)

CaptDan

CaptDan - When you have the time, can you check to see if you have the outdated USB drivers? I'm hoping this is the common denominator for those that have this problem.

Will do Charlie. So - to be clear - I just follow the instructions in your previous post?

PS: Even if I find my Win drivers are ancient, I'd be a bit worried about trying to fix what isn't broken. On the other hand, I can always 'revert back,' right? :)

CaptDan

This is just to check:

1. Press the Windows Key + R and type CMD and then click on the OK button.
2. In the DOS box type: cd\ and then ENTER.
3. Type c:\windows\system32\drivers and then ENTER.
4. Type dir usbport.sys, usbehci.sys, and winusb.sys and then ENTER.

If any of the 3 files above have 2009 dates then you have the driver version mismatch issue.

If you update the drivers shouldn't cause any problems, in fact it should improve stability. I'm using my work laptop after the fix. No issues with any of my USB devices here. I just don't have my DM3200 here to test :). In fact I'm hoping the update, if needed, does fix what is broken! We shouldn't have these USB issues!

My final entry in the area.

I bought a used Rain Rackmount Computer on eBay in 2011/2012. Never had a problem with anything. They're long gone as a company, so I will be getting a new rackmount in the coming year. Maybe I just escaped all of this with the custom built music DAW computer.

Ernie, if a USB driver version mismatch is the cause of our problems, you (and others) wouldn't have this problem if the OS was installed with the Windows 7/SP1 integrated version. Note that I am using a custom built DAW computer from Sweetwater! The Creation Station 400C. It's just darn strange that at least 3 of us in this forum have confirmed the exact issue (and workaround). Actually there was a 4th person but I forget the user's name when I brought up the TMC workaround in an older thread.

If you get a new machine, my research led me to ADK Pro Audio. Ask for Scott. Personally, I wouldn't trust any other company at this point. Overall, Sweetwater is a great company but I paid a premium for one of their top of the line DAW workstations and the Intel motherboard they chose is a piece of $hit.

Last edited:
I have my custom guy on speed dial - So I'm good. When it comes to computery stuff, I actually have a degree in computer science and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS refer to tomshardware.com for advice so I know how to guide my dude on speed dial.

Remember everyone, I use my DM4800 very different than the many of you. I only use the remote layer to teach. All my transport functions, etc., are handled by shortcuts since my hands are on my computer keyboard when I'm editing, which includes markers. This is for both Cubase and Pro Tools. I actually work completely different when I'm not in teaching mode. In Cubase, I never use the remote layer actually, I use MTC from the midi out of the board, activate the "sync" button on the transport, and I'm rollin'.

I honestly never knew of these issues and wish I did earlier and knew how to troubleshoot them myself. I've had two rack mount machines - one custom with XP and eventually Win7 on another drive when PT9 came out and never had issues, and of course the Rain. I also doubt I'll ever upgrade higher than Cubase 6.07 since it works and it has more than enough power for me. With Pro Tools, I have to upgrade, as I have no choice - until I retire from teaching college.

I >>NEVER<< buy anything from Sweetwater - they constantly bother you on the phone, emails, etc. Drives (drove) me nuts like in a "cult" way. Luckily my "has-been rock star guitarist status" has given me a few direct from manufacturer perks that I never need anything Sweetwater has to offer. But again, carry on.

Ernie. You're a gentleman and a scholar!

I will let you know my results by end of day today :)

This is for both Cubase and Pro Tools. I actually work completely different when I'm not in teaching mode. In Cubase, I never use the remote layer actually, I use MTC from the midi out of the board, activate the "sync" button on the transport, and I'm rollin'.

Can you elaborate on this? MIDI out of DM or the IFFW card? Then into a separate MIDI interface I presume. Does this cure the Timecode lockup of of the MU-1000 on looping? Enabling check box for MIDI Timecode follows Project Time only seems to work a short time, then always lockups.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.