New DP24sd failing during recording

Randy Turner

Gear owned
2488neo, dp24sd, dp01
Literally my second time recording. Successfully recorded three tracks, then during recording the 4th the deck stops, and I get File Error... no amount of messing with buttons clears this, until a minute or two when the display changes to Wiring Failed. This has happened twice today, both times I had to literally unplug the deck as I could not use Stop or any button beyond this point. The SD card is a Sandisk Extreme - listed on the approved cards. Pics attached of card, list, and both errors.

Gawd almighty, please don't tell me I have a failed brand new deck. I'm trying to contact Sweetwater's tech support as well. how friggin' irritating...

Attachments

• fileerrors.jpg
    fileerrors.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 28
  • writing failed.jpg
    writing failed.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 32
  • card.jpg
    card.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 27
  • sd s for dp24.jpg
    sd s for dp24.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
One more thing... the Messages page in the manual says this is when you call Teac service center... argh......

Attachments

• manual.jpg
    manual.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 8
Do you still have the original SD card? If so, try a recording and check results using it. You could also try your Extreme SD card in a laptop or desktop with reader and check for errors (FAT 32). Hopefully you don't have a hardware issue but it is indeed possible.

Good suggestions, but outcome was (1) Extreme works fine in pc, and (2) Dp24 fails. Got hold of tech support and they're shipping me a new one. whew.....

Sounds like the Main PCB has failed. It is the board that holds the SD Card slot and controls its functions and other device features. I have replaced several on DP-24/32's with the updated model for the "SD" versions but failures appear to still be cropping up. They run about $150 so you are lucky yours is new and under warranty. Best of luck!

whoa.... ok, good to know. Do you have serial number ranges that are most affected by the bad PCB ? thnx Steven -

No, unfortunately I do not as the problem seems to crop up from time to time even in newer DP's with the updated Main PCB. Luck of the draw I guess. I used to have a good contact with TASCAM tech support who would share tidbits of information from time to time but he has since moved on. My suggestion, use the crap out of your DP when you get the replacement and test all functions and capabilities to the best of your ability to help weed out any infant mortality issues. These are great machines but, like anything, once in a while you get a "bad" one.

Hi
Appreciate this thread may be old or now finished but I am having the same problem, getting the same 'writing failed' message/ I am using a Sandisk Ultra 32GB Class 10, which is on Tascam's Supported Media list. Problem occurred on first song - I had only used 4GB of card and only about 4 or 5 tracks, so don't think card can be overloaded. Note: the problem doesn't occur when I use the 4GB soundcard that came with the machine.
My question is: can someone tell me how to perform the suggested operation above i.e "try your SD card in a laptop or desktop with reader and check for errors (FAT 32)" - I don't know what a reader is! Any clarification would be very welcome.
Just to add, I did try copying the half-finished song and trying to record on 'new' tracks (but with no luck) - and I noticed it took over 15 minutes to complete the copying - I can't imagine it would take this long to copy so little data

Hey Don B -
First off, when this happened to me I definitely had a completely failed Main PCB and had to return the entire DP24 for a new one. And it's important to note that mine failed with ANY sd card - including the factory one.
Second, when you say the original factory 4gb doesn't do it, please clarify that you are literally recording a couple tracks and then it successfully writes. In other words, just inserting it and seeing that the DP24 reads it is not enough. If it also gets "writing failed" then it's time for a new unit.
Third, forget the 'reader' comment. Just find a laptop that has an SD slot and insert your Sandisk in there. Usually windows or linux will see the card and show to you like a folder on your harddrive. (I dunno macs at all.) If its data is viewable, I recommend that you copy everything to your harddrive so you don't lose your existing recordings.
Lastly, if the Sandisk data is viewable on your laptop and you get it copied and you're desperate, you might try reformating the Sandisk. The way I did it was first on the laptop, then took it to the dp24 where upon power-up it immediately offered to format. Note that this permanently erases all your recordings on that Sandisk.

Reactions: Steven L. Stevens
Thanks for getting back Randy, much appreciated. I can confirm that the 4gb factory card records without any problem. Since posting I have also found that there is no problem with the 32gb card if I try to record on an earlier version of the same half-song. So, a) it seems to be a card issue and b) I imagine it's just this subsequent version (the one I copied that took 20 minutes) that seems to have failed or been corrupted. Do you think it's worth trying to export the 'problem' version to my laptop then re-importing it on to either the same card or a new one? Otherwise, it looks like I'll have to start again from the earlier version - I don't mind doing this but I'm not confident that the problem won't recur. Yes I'm aware that reformatting a card erases all data

Reactions: Steven L. Stevens
My question is: can someone tell me how to perform the suggested operation above i.e "try your SD card in a laptop or desktop with reader and check for errors (FAT 32)" - I don't know what a reader is! Any clarification would be very welcome.
Reader just refers to any device (PC, MAC, Tablet, ect) that has the ability read a SD Card and allow you to verify it is readable or not. In the case of a properly equipped PC or MAC, you could choose from various utilities to run a full test on the card to verify it is error free on that hardware.

Yeah, that's kinda what I'd do if in the same situation. I'd copy that entire folder for that current song to the laptop. Then I'd buy a new Sandisk, format it on the dp24, and then add that folder back in.
OR.... copy everything to the laptop, format the Sandisk on the laptop, insert the Sandisk in the dp24 and let it format... then copy everything back onto it. Maybe a bad sector on the Sandisk. Worth a try.
Man, sorry about going thru this. Really gets me down when that kind of stuff happens while you're trying to be creative...

Thanks to Randy (again), Steven and mjk for all your info and advice.

mjk - Having looked at your screenshot, I searched google and amazon for any of the model numbers shown on the right of the screenshot - but couldn't find a match for any of the 32gb cards listed. It's a minefield. Unless advised otherwise, I plan to get this Sandisk 32gb Extreme Plus:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/SD-Cards...72398&sr=8-4&keywords=sandisk+extreme+plus+32

Tascam certainly need to update their list and provide some clarity. I wonder how much money has been spent on SD cards that turn out to be incompatible - to say nothing of the wasted time and effort, as Randy says.

Last edited:
Many thanks for that info and the link, mjk. That could have been more time and money down the drain! I will purchase the the Extreme PRO. Perhaps strangely, the Extreme PRO is cheaper than the Extreme PLUS on UK Amazon

Don, I had several discussions with the local suppliers (in Chinese too) and we all baffled.... Many of those cards have the same exact markings on the face of the card, and yet they behave differently in the machine. Please let us know the results.

Good points y'all. Here's what I use (one 32gb and one 16gb): SanDisk Extreme 32GB 90 Mb/s SDHC UHS-I Card (SDSDXVE-032G-GNCIN) - same as MJK

Reactions: -mjk-
Randy, it's the Extreme Pro. I have no idea why that card is different, but it's important enough to make a distinction.

No.... seriously, both my 32gb and 16gb are literally SanDisk Extreme. Not pro's and both were on the list when I bought them and I've had zero problems with either.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.