Phil T's "Step by Step Guide" for the Tascam DP-24/32SD

Old No7

From
Southern Maine
Gear owned
Tascam DP-24SD
I am so glad that I got Phil's excellent "Step by Step Guide" to use with my Tascam DP-24SD, as it is such a handy reference book and an excellent companion to his awesome videos. I learn by reading, also by seeing & doing, and I think this combination of seeing Phil's videos, reading this guide over several times -- and then having it handy to refer to whenever it might be needed -- will really help improve my use, skills, satisfaction and projects that I'll get out of the DP.

At times I feel like I am learning a new science, or a new language -- and you know, it's probably a little of both!

As I'm expecting to use Phil's excellent guide quite a lot, especially over the next few weeks and months, I had the front and back cover laminated, and then added a spiral lay-flat binding -- a local print shop did that for me (and I provided the hardcopy) for just $9 USD.

LAM5gRx.jpg

Now the only problem is.........

And I didn't see this mentioned anywhere in Phil's email to me, or the guide itself...

--> Is my wife is now saying I'm spending A LOT OF TIME with my new toy and this guide! (Maybe carrying it around the house and browsing it every spare minute I had was too much for her...)

Oh well -- she'd better get over it! ;)

( Isn't it funny how guys will talk so tough when their wives can't hear them? )

Good thing this wasn't tracked or recorded -- puns intended!

Cheers to Phil! Would love to down a pint or two with you if I ever get across the pond again.

Old No7

sleep in the studio.jpg

Is this guide still available? I've just ordered a 32sd .

Make sure you "watch" this forum :)

Oh yes -mjk-, very good point! And I'd also expand on that.........

Plan to invest/spend MANY hours reviewing all the "Production Tips" and "Equipment Related Tips" and others in the stickies above -- those, as well as Phil's excellent tutorials, will really help you on the learning curve.

But above all.......

* * * DO NOT RELY ON THE TASCAM MANUAL * * *

I bought Phil's guide -- never opened the manual. ;)

Old No7

Already started but it's better with the unit in front of you. Getting excited ....

Reactions: -mjk-
Phil T is to DP users what salsa is to nachos:
A DP is already a tasty pice o' gear...Phil's materials and videos makes it DELICIOUS.

We ALL owe him a pint!:D

Last edited:
I've had the 32sd for a week now and am determined not to post a question every time I get stuck. I managed to multi-track our recording sessions to a nice standard , no clipping and nice levels. So far so good. Then I tried to add reverb to the vocals on playback. Read the manual followed the steps but still nothing. So I watched Phil's vids and there it was clear as mud. Switch to mixdown mode. Derrrrr ! And voila there is reverb on the vocals ! And a bit on the drums woohoo.
Phil you are a gem! At first your use of the block diagram scared me but once I got used to following the signal path it all made sense .

Reactions: Phil Tipping
Glad to hear you got it figured out -- Kudos' to Phil T again!
I've had the 32sd for a week now and am determined not to post a question every time I get stuck...

On that point, don't forget about the Equipment and Production related tips (stickies) at the very top of this forum -- those are valuable too!

Old No7

Reactions: BazzBass
Let's keep this going !
The DP's and Phil T's materials are like chocolate and peanut butter. "Two great tastes that taste great together!":D

Reactions: BazzBass
Thanks Old No7 for reminding me about Phil Tipping's awesome resource. I've just received my copy .
I mentioned this to Phil , that his guide and how to notes and videos are the main reason I chose to go with the DP32SD.

Reactions: -mjk-
* * * TASCAM SHOULD PAY PHIL ROYALTIES * * *
Can't argue with that.
My take: Tascam should be paying PHIL to write their manuals, not the drunken half-wits who they DID pay to write the abomination that comes with the unit. I've seen more technical know-how on display watching my dog talk on the phone.:rolleyes:

Reactions: dctdct and BazzBass
This forum has probably resulted in more new sales for Tascam than all their sales reps combined lol

Can't argue with that.
My take: Tascam should be paying PHIL to write their manuals, not the drunken half-wits who they DID pay to write the abomination that comes with the unit. I've seen more technical know-how on display watching my dog talk on the phone.:rolleyes:

Many of those manuals are English translations. Some are better than others. I personally saw a Casio keyboard manual that literally used the F-word as the verb for attaching the legs by screwing them into the threaded bosses on the bottom. The drawing featured 4 legs with dotted lined arrows pointing to the bosses and 4 instances of the F-word alongside each leg. Needless to say when I work with Taiwan audio companies I correct the English in the subtitles for the videos I do for them. But, they almost always release printed promotional stuff first and then show it to me later after its too late.

I personally saw a Casio keyboard manual that literally used the F-word as the verb for attaching the legs by screwing them into the threaded bosses on the bottom.
But you had to screw the legs in, right? I totally get it :LOL:

Reactions: -mjk- and BazzBass

New threads

Members online

No members online now.