Pro Tools Templates

Thanks all I found it as you can see ... now I should be able to setup my template 44.1, 48 & 96 Device Manager.PNG Legacy.PNG

Thanks fellas, I am now operating in Legacy mode....

I have set up my 1st template which is 44.1. I hear everything vocals/instrumental tracks (through the speakers and headphones). Now it seems like Pro Tools 10 and the DM is not communicating, I try to record a test vocal track and nothing is being recorded (I can hear it in the headphone and speakers), I imported an instrumental (44.1) track and I see the meters moving in Pro Tools 10 but I am not hearing anything. I see the sample rate in the advance menu for the Windows audio device. Do I have something set that is not allowing me to record my vocals, hear the imported track or could my session be set up wrong?

Routing problem most likely.

At this point, using the Tascam Mixer Companion (TMC) it would be helpful if you'd shoot some Screen Shots of your DM's:

1. Routing/Output/SLOT screen (Routing Key, 3rd tab Output SLOT

2. Routing INPUT screen (Routing Key/1st Tab/Input

.....................Using Win7 Screen shoot routing...........................................

3. ProTools screen of the Test Track, showing the Input/output to/from DM.

Along with those screens, you should add specifics of what DM input (M/L#) is being used for the tests, and where you're intending the return FROM Ptools is to go - ie - which DM fader module.

Finally - I have to ask again - are you SURE you've assigned the DM channel monitoring the Protools track to the STEREO BUS?

CaptDan

Sorry for the double screen shots, I don't know if I pressed something to not have this to work when I set up my templates in pro tools as it was working before. As I stated earlier I can hear my vocals as I talk through the mic and I can hear them through the head phones but when I import a track I don't hear anything. Coming out the speakers I'm not hearing anything not even my vocals when I talk in the mic. This is making me want to factory reset the Tascam.

My Routing Tab indicates:

INPUT:

M/L 1 is selected
Layer Select is 1-16
Source Select is = M/L selected
Source Invert is blank
INP Return = 1-8
DIN Select = DIN1 = RCA DIN2 = XLR

OUTPUT:
Output Select = TDIF1 (which 1-8 is blank)
Terminal Select = TDIF1 is selected
Source Select = ALL is selected

OUTPUT SLOT:
Output Select: = Bus 1-8/DIR 1-8
Terminal Select = Slot 1 TRK 1-8 is selected
Source Select = All is selected

This is really is making want to factory reset this unit as it working previously don't know if I hit something where it's not working. Tascam Companion.PNG Input.PNG Output.PNG PT10.PNG Input.PNG Output.PNG PT10.PNG

Last edited:
WDM channel mapping has nothing to do with Pro-Tools but you will need to configure properly if you want to hear audio outside of PT.

1. What kind of templates are you creating? Tracking? Mixing? Have you decided whether or not you want to mix through the board or do you want to use the PT mixer via the Remote Layer using the DM3200 as control surface? That decision is step 1 in creating any template!

2. You did not provide any DM screen captures of your routing (screen capture is a tool in TMC)) or any of the other screens captures CaptDan suggested for that matter.

3. You need to answer CaptDan's question: Are you SURE you've assigned the DM channel monitoring the Protools track to the STEREO BUS? In PT you need to route the STEREO buss to a pair of channels to the DM or else you won't here playback.

Last edited:
How do you do DM Screen captures because when I go to the TMC-Windows-Screen Shot it brings up folders so I'm lost at this point;

I can hear it coming out of my speakers and the meters lights are moving but I'm unable to record vocals and I can hear my vocals in the head phone but not the instrumental

When I first turned it on I received the message below:

Message on the TASCAM screen states:

The audio swine is not operating normally. All sound stopped

Please contact TASCAM service

Press ENTER to continue

Any idea what this means?

If you get that message every time you boot the DM then you might have a hardware issue. Did you buy this new or used?

I bought it used and that was the 1st time I saw the message. ... I rebooted it and thats when I started hearing it through the speakers and the message did not return I was wondering if I factory reset it just to clear it out download the current drivers than i think I'd be ok ..any thoughts ... I'd still like to know how yo fo the screen shots

CMaffia.... I am creating templates for tracking and mixing. I'm going through the PT mixer via the remote layer so the DM3200 will be used as a control surface but I'd like to mix through the board as well.

In PT,

Main Outs L/R Stereo -> Out1-2

After reading CaptDan's post again I may not have the routing correct because prior to me installing the updated drivers I may have lost the setting because when I purchased the unit it was already set for PT (from the previous owner). Now I can hear my instrumental out the speakers but it's not loud like it was prior to my driver update. So I've added the screen shots. Also I have not gotten that message in reference to contacting TASCAM service. Please advise.

Routing Input.png Routing Output.png Routing Output Slot.png Routing Insert.png

Hi Big,

Your routing is backwards. You've got your Mic/Line assigned to the DM's inputs and nothing routed from Ptools back to the DM. That's why you don't hear signal during playback of your Ptools track.

I've provided instructions for this basic routing maneuver several times on this forum, most recently in the past month. I don't have the time right now to dig it up so here's what I recommend:

Do a search for Posts by Capt Dan - specifically - Protools;routing;Output Slot; you should be able to locate the message detailing this basic routing assignment using the INPUT BYPASS method.

Get your setup working first before assuming it's a hardware problem - which it still could be, but at least you'll be a step closer to knowing that for sure after getting a routing issue sussed out.

CaptDan

New threads

Members online

No members online now.