Question for TascMan or anyone.

Oh, I have issues!Haha, I'm not positive but I don't think I can trigger the record buttons from the DM and they don't light up when I engage them in PT but but thats not what i'm here for today. I have one more question that maybe concerns Pro Tools but anyone should know this info. I have a couple of laptops that I'm trying to test out with the DM-Firewire-PT to see which may be better suited. Is it sufficient to simply put record on 32 tracks (no signal) and let the laptop run for an hour or do I actually need to be processing information into those 32 tracks to get a proper read? in other words is it more taxing for your computer to be converting analog into 1's and 0's?
Here's my input on it. I used to think that it would take more 'space' on a hardrive to record a video than lets say a letter to your mom.(all being relative) But I believe memory is linear and it would take the same amount of space to record a 3 min song as it would to record a 3 min video, correct??? Another example, it takes the same amount of memory to record a bass guitar playing 1/4 notes as it would recording a whole drum track (on 1 channel) playing 32 notes (many more hits, etc, same length) :rolleyes:

Yes, I definitely have problems with the record functions between the DM and PT. The DM NEVER would arm PT's record and then PT wouldn't go into record at all as long as the DM was hooked up. I had to hook PT back up to the Digi M Box and yes, rec worked. rebooted everything about 10 times and magically the DM's Rec buttons lit up! But it still doesn't work everytime, sometimes I have to Click everything 3 or 5 times. There is no order just random until it works??? I would hate to depend on the DM's transport to punch in on an artist. :( Solo and mute does work.
EDIT: Possibly now there is an order to the record buttons, I just haven't figured it out yet! LOL

Last edited:
Hi TascMan, I did open er up. No biggie. The motherboard (if you will), which houses the encoders seems pretty straightforward. All I saw were mainly ribbon connectors and other types of connectors. All seemed secure in where they were going. As to your suggestion, I'm 99.99% percent sure I was in layer 1-16. I did call Tascam and talked to a good guy named Brian and explained my situation. He seemed to know the mixer well. He didn't focus on the encoder mode function (or lack thereof) for adjusting aux sends. Instead he directed me to the "Home" button for a given channel where it seems you have pretty much total control of all functions on the the LCD screen. I asked then what is the purpose of the encoder mode buttons then. To be honest I really don't remember his answer. I was so pumped about finding an accessible solution for giving signal to aux sends as well as finding a button I didn't know existed I think I kind of glossed over his answer. I do remember he did say when he's working with music he just leaves the encoder mode in the pan function. That's how he works. I'm not gonna sweat it. I have a solution now that works. I just like bells and whistles. Perhaps at some time I'll find the mysterious solution to the missing encoder mode functions. Best to you and thanks, Kevin

The encoders are 'soft access' options. That means you can change what they do depending on what you like or need. That expands the accessibility of the console considerably.

Sometimes, it's nice to use the encoders for sends or pans; other times for EQ control. One of the best uses, IMO, is for multi-layer fader access - where you can be in say, Layer 1, and be able to control the fader levels of Layer 2 or 3 without having to switch layers.

Kudos to Tascam for having the foresight to make the encoders multi functional. It's just a damn cool feature. :)

EDIT: Kevin: those functions are chosen on the encoder function panel on the right. Check 'em out. Who knows, maybe you'll discover the answer to your problem. :)

CaptDan

Last edited:
Hey Capt. Dan, thanks for the reply. Your last paragraph is the essence of my query. If you see my first post at the beginning of this thread, it appears as if none of my encoder mode buttons work at all with the exception of the panning mode. Literally every function of this mixer (that I'm aware of :>) seems to work fine except for this glitch that I discovered. For example: I want to access auxes for track number one. I select channel one and hit the second button down for aux control. Nothing changes. I'm still in panning mode. I've reset the board several times. There is no off and on for encoder mode is there? Thanks man, Kevin

I want to access auxes for track number one. I select channel one and hit the second button down for aux control. Nothing changes

Nor will it. That's because the two other options must be selected in conjunction with the DM's Control/Alt and Shift Keys. These are color coded. Just match the color to the extra key - ie: SHIFT/Aux, Control/Layer, etc. (Not in front of my desk right now; working from memory).

Give that a try. Good chance that's all there is to it. (Hopefully :) ).

CaptDan

Well, I dont't think you need to hit any other buttons when selecting the first choice for each button. If you are referring to the AUX SEND, the second choice on button one, then yes, you need the shift key. But the second button down, AUX, which I believe he is referring to too, does not need a co-shift or co-ctrl button pushed at the same time. Just pushing AUX, the second button down, on the encoder mode selections, should bring his encoders to AUX mode.

Hi guys, thanks to all who have jumped in trying to help. Yeah TascMan, what you just laid out accorded with my understanding of correct operation and what I've been dealing with. Interesting problem. I must admit I haven't tried kicking it. Best to all, Kevin

Can anyone help me with editing two tracks to match in starting points?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.