Should I buy a US-16X08?

nobatron

Gear owned
US-600
Hi,

I want to expand my recording setup. I'm looking for something with 8 mic pres.

I will be using a mac primarily but Windows support would be cool too.

I'm hesitant to buy the US-16X08 after the pain I have every time I upgrade my operating system with my US-600.

Have things improved with the newer interfaces?

Browsing around this forum I see a lot of people having problems with the 16x08. Have these largely been resolved?

Basically, if I buy it am I likely to regret it? Should I buy the US-16x08 or should I spend the extra cash on a Focusrite?

Hugh

After MUCH researching and going back and forth, I'm happy with mine. All the problems and negative amazon reviews that I could find involved Windows. It’s a good I/O if you just wanna plug in and record multiple mics/lines. I’ve been fairly happy with mine so far connected to my macbook air. No humming, buzzing, or any audio problems of any kind. Sounds crystal clear and works great. I was fairly surprised that you don’t even have to download drivers if you use it on a mac. You just plug it in and it works great. The only thing I’m not a fan of is that it doesn’t have any separate busses. It really limits it’s mixing options as far as I can tell. Since I use garageband I can’t configure the outputs at all, so while I can get a lot of separate lines going in, I effectively only get 4 stereo pairs of the exact same main mix as output, with no ability to create separate monitor mixes. Its effectively a US 16x02. Kinda lame. For my situation I guess I need to decide to either upgrade to Logic or get the Tascam US 20x20 which has a few separate busses so that I can configure the output. (If I’m wrong on this by all means make my day by correcting me).

As an incredibally cheap Input with a ton of mic-pres, line in’s, and even 2 instrument ins, I highly recommend it. What else can you get this much input from for $300?

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.