Tascam DPs Just Got Some Competition

SocProf

Gear owned
DP-24SD
You've probably figured out that Tascam and Zoom often have competing products--e.g. Tascam Model 24 and Zoom Livetrak L-20.

Zoom recently released a new, state of the art portastudio called the R20.
https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/digital-mixer-multi-track-recorders/multi-track-recorders/r20/

There is a pinned thread asking if Tascam will ever release a new portastudio. The odds just went way up! I'm hoping it will happen next year.

As for the R20, the features look pretty impressive, especially the touch screen. But no mastering effects, which gives Tascam an opportunity to one-up them.

Reactions: Mark Richards
cheap? It's $1,000 in Australia, but yeah, impressive bit of kit. Gibson won't want to spend money on Tascam R and D imho

Wow, I'm impressed with what it can do - and has synth and drum included as well, playable by MIDI. Very nice - and for an incredible price too!

Reactions: -mjk- and Logrinn
@-mjk- The topic here is the Zoom R20, being unchallenged yet by Tascam. To be fair, it's also not out yet..

Reactions: -mjk-
Wow. That thing is impressive. And smaller and more portable than the DP series. (thinking about portability because I just toted my DP to a cabin in Broken Bow, OK)

The price in the US is $399.99. Sweetwater says that "more are on the way." So, it's officially released, but the supply can't keep up with demand yet.

Zoom will almost certainly release a 24 track version in the next 6 months.

What I want to know about is the quality of the mic preamps and A/D converters. Are we talking about professional studio quality or a step down from that?

Hmmm.... by what I'm reading - this thing won't do 48kHz. 44.1 only at either 16 or 24 bit depth. That can be limiting for a variety of reasons. Mainly file compatibility across different platforms.

Why do they do that - put so many cool features in a modern unit and then limit it in that way?

Reactions: -mjk- and SocProf
Good point about the sampling rate. I was surprised, as it seems like a step backwards. I'd love to have a portastudio that would allow me to record in 24/96.

@-mjk- The topic here is the Zoom R20, being unchallenged yet by Tascam. To be fair, it's also not out yet..

Yeah I was actually referring to the new recorder as the example. I decided to delete my post because it was negative (it was only up for literally 1 minute). There is enough negativity already.

Reactions: Arjan P
see what I mean about Australian retailers being far too greedy, making 150% profit ffs, $400 US turns to $1,000 AU.

Good point about the sampling rate. I was surprised, as it seems like a step backwards. I'd love to have a portastudio that would allow me to record in 24/96.

The old Roland VS machines can record at up to 96kHz if you can find one.
While they had a lot of impressive features they were of course lacking in others compared to todays machines from Tascam and Zoom.

see what I mean about Australian retailers being far too greedy, making 150% profit ffs, $400 US turns to $1,000 AU.

Just so we are comparing apples to apples... that converts to about $720 US dollars. I would say greedy sounds like a fair description.

FP

I dunno, looking at the manual.....

https://zoomcorp.com/media/documents/E_R20.pdf

the editing capabilities from what I can see don't come close to the DP 24/32's Isn't the R20 a 16 track recorder? Also I did not see (maybe I missed them) the kind of mastering libraries (templates) that come stock with the DP24/32's.

For those of us that use the Portastudio as the center of our recording, mixing, & mastering process the R20 looks to come up very short. Maybe if it is partnered with some kind of software DAW , it could compete with the Tascam DP 24/32;) But this is a preliminary assessment I have not talked to anyone that actually has used it yet and I did not thoroughly read the manual.:)

Just so we are comparing apples to apples... that converts to about $720 US dollars. I would say greedy sounds like a fair description.

FP

Have you taken into account what the Customs duty is on imported electronics? I paid about $3,000 USD for an X32 console here in Taiwan. When I priced buying one and importing it, the cost was just about the same plus a modest profit. Too often people are quick to call greed but don't take into consideration the issues of international shipping and import costs. The importer has to get paid for those efforts, which includes the services of an import broker.

Reactions: Felonious Punk
I dunno, looking at the manual.....

https://zoomcorp.com/media/documents/E_R20.pdf

the editing capabilities from what I can see don't come close to the DP 24/32's Isn't the R20 a 16 track recorder? Also I did not see (maybe I missed them) the kind of mastering libraries (templates) that come stock with the DP24/32's.

Yes, it's a 16 track recorder. I'm guessing a 24 track version will appear later.

Like most manuals, this one sucks. :) I think the R20 actually has good editing via the touchscreen. I would need to sit down with one to know for sure.

Yes, the lack of mastering effects is unfortunate. Since I own a DP24SD, I could always use that for mastering and record on the Zoom R20 (or R28 if it comes out). But I would prefer a one box solution, so I hope Tascam steps up with their own new portastudio series.

Reactions: lastmonk
I watched a few demos of track editing on the R20. The touch screen makes some of it easy. But I can't imagine doing precise editing with a touch screen alone. It does not appear there are any buttons, or jog wheels to allow precise positioning and I haven't a seen a zoom in capability for the screen yet. Touch screens are not always the best interface for precise editing. Some are ok, many are not. It would depend on R20 features that are not yet revealed in the few online demos or the manual.

I have been using the Tascam DP 24 SD for years now and on a great many projects (some very large)
Its a complete solution. I use sends to connect it to outboard gear (both physical and virtual) when I need, and it allows me to get the job done. Actually there is very little that I would need added to a new Tascam studio outside of an HDMI out port. I use the Tascam Model 12, 24 for my mixers. And my portastudios for editing, mixdown and mastering. To convert or bring my final wavs in line with streaming service level standards , or deal with surround sound requirement I drop the wavs in Audacity for finishing touches.

The Zoom offerings are slick to be sure. But the R20 seems more like competition for the Tascam Mixcast than the Tascam Portastudios;)

https://tascam.com/us/solution/podcasting

When you take the Tascam Portastudios, Tascam Model 12,16,24 mixers, and Tascam Mixcast as a total package, the Zoom gear does not seem to offer any eye-popping advantages.

Last edited:
Mixcast 4: € 539, - Zoom R20: € 399,- (introduction price before release, so that will go down fast). Not really competition there, not to mention what both units can do (and the fact that one is aimed at podcasting, with specific functions for that).

IMO, this is a very interesting unit for the starting recordist - also truly portable, at 38 x 20 cm. And with fantastic specs: 8 track simultaneous recording, rhythm loops, synth function, tuner, metronome, 8x4 audio interface, touch screen -which seems pretty attractive. Yes it lacks some things that current Tascams do have, but for this price I'd like to see what the competition can do..

Reactions: -mjk- and lastmonk
@Arjan P :LOL: I'm likely really referring to the fact that they both have a nice colorful touch screens!:LOL: I think the Zoom L 20, Zoom R24s etc real machines that try to put themselves in the portastudio space.

I have 3 or 4 mates that are deep into Zoom territory and they love it. I've worked with Zoom gear on collab projects, so I'm fairly familiar with how Zoom does things. Good stuff for the price point. And if some how I lost all my recording gear and had to start all over , my top pick would be Tascam Dp 24/32. I'd only do the Zoom thing If I couldn't get my hands on brand new Tascam stuff:geek:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.