"The DP is a Big Scratchpad"

Old No7

From
Southern Maine
Gear owned
Tascam DP-24SD
We can thank our moderator -mjk- for that quote when he replied to one of my first postings on this forum.

I'm so glad I got the DP-24SD, along with Phil T's how-to-guide and finding/joining this forum. There's still so much more for me to learn on the DP, but I'm having a blast with it. It's doing just what I wanted it to do -- enabling easy & quick "DAW-less recording" (as was discussed on my first ever forum posting on the Model 24/16/12 forum) without firing up a computer -- which I spend all day working on anyhow...

In the evenings, I welcome a very different type of keyboard.

Continuing with the "big scratchpad" idea, last night I quickly recorded 4 tracks of a lick/theme I had in mind for a tribute to Emerson, Lake and Palmer -- ELP -- and for that reason, the working title of the song is spelled "hELP me". There are some parts I really like, some not so much, but now I can save/preserve that idea and come back to it later to rearrange it, add some more Hammond or a growling synth and record it again.

Cheers.

Old No7

Edit to add link:
Let's see if this works for you...
https://soundcloud.com/user-7932208...d&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Last edited:
Interesting "doodle" hehe. I like it.

@Old No7 - Sounds like a fantastic start.

This share along with a recent thread about how to transfer tracks between musicians to collaborate on songs together makes me ask the question:

Has anyone ever collaborated with other forum members to record together? I would love to have fun with you on this tune and record a bass track, for example, and channel some Greg Lake on it. ;)

Reactions: -mjk-
@Old No7
Sounds like a fantastic start.
Hey, thanks for the feedback. For sure, it's too busy in parts, and my twin brother (a drummer) didn't like the MODX drum track (even though I bounced around using 3 varieties), but I think it's got some potential -- as a project anyhow, not as a money maker.

@Old No7
I would love to have fun with you on this tune and record a bass track, for example, and channel some Greg Lake on it. ;)
Thanks Tom I do like that idea! And while I can dabble at bass on the keyboards, I don't claim to be a bass player at all.

Give me some time to work up some other chord changes and a chart (opening, 1st versus, chorus, 2nd verse, chorus, bridge/solo, last chorus, etc.) and I think that would be fun to do. I've also started to think of some lyrics to go along with it -- when you channel Greg Lake, can you sing too?!?! ;)

Thanks for listening!

Old No7

I'd love to help out with something on bass when you're ready. I do alright as a background vocalist, but not going to serve well for lead vox. :)

My instrumental tunes (because I'm not a lead vocalist) :): https://www.reverbnation.com/tomboyles

These are my little ScratchPad recordings over the recent years.

Yeah, I love this stuff!

I've been working with @robert monahan for about 2 years. He has a new record and I'm doing quite a lot on it. I've had the pleasure of working with quite a number of forum users.

Reactions: Tom Boyles
@Tom Boyles your stuff sounds great! Thanks for posting.

Thank you @-mjk- I appreciate that. I noodle a bit on Saturday mornings as "therapy" to release from the stress of work the previous week. :)

Mark Richards gave me some pointers on mixing and referred me to some cool little reference monitors. (JBL 104). I am listening to music through those for a while to get my ears "tuned" to them and I will be giving a try at remixing my tunes. Mark's mixes sound really nice, so I am confident, with some practice (and with his pointers), I can get my tunes sounding a bit better in EQ and sonic spacing. Shout out to @Mark Richards !

Practice makes perfect. Make sure you burn those in good. Most people put them front-t0-front and reverse the polarity on 1 so you can't really hear it, and then they crank them for 8 to 10 hours.

Adam Audio and also Present Day Production (both on YouTube) have videos about how to do that, and why. My Adam T8Vs sounded excellent out of the box but later they sounded uncanny.

New threads

Members online