UH-7000 Driver Latency for mixing

Bcodispoti

Gear owned
UH-7000
Just got a uh-7000 and the sound is just amazing. I have seen some posts referring to latency issues...relating to low latency, which I have not had issues with...but what I am interested in, is higher latency for mixing and less strain on my cpu so that I can run more plugins.

My previous interface is a presonus firebox from 2006, and when mixing, I can change the buffer to <>1768 samples which allows me to run a current project at maybe 50% cpu usage. When I use the uh-7000 with the samples set to 512 (the highest that I can see), the cpu usage jumps up to over 80-85%, which is a dealbreaker for me to use this unit for mixing.

Is this something that could be changed / forced somewhere else?

Is there anyone else out there dealing with this same concern?

Any way tascam can consider modifying the drivers to add hogher latency numbers like 1024, 1536, 2048 etc?

I know everyone always wants lower latencys, but for me and micing the higher ones are important.

That number affects latency, but it isn't "the latency." It's the size of the buffer, the number of samples held in reserve to prevent the DAW from skipping or dropping samples in a log jam or disc slowdown. The buffer is usually set in the DAW, so I don't understand why you're seeing a max buffer of 512 samples when using this interface. Where are you seeing this number as the largest possible buffer?

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Yes, I am referring to the buffer. The numbers are presented to me in Presonus StudioOne 3 when setting up the interface and 512 is as high as it goes. Im assuming that is,the highest buffer setting offered up by the tascam driver (and the tascam driver just gives them pretty names, rather than their buffer numbers).

After I posted this yesterday, I did install the ASIO4ALL driver and was able to set the buffer in that driver to 2048, which for recording would be nonsense, but for mixing works great, and using it with the uh-7000 takes the cpu overhead and plugin count back to the same levels thad I had with the old firebox.

This will work for me now, as long as the ASIO4ALL driver works reliably, but it would be ideal if the tascam driver allowed setting the buffers higher in their driver.

Curious if their development team could be persuaded to consider that by just one person. Makes the unit soooo much more usable for those like me:)

Hello Gravity Jim - do you have a UH-7000? What the OP speaks of is correct. While in the UH-7000 interface, setting the latency to the highest setting (which offers no reference to actual buffer size?), the results displayed in a DAW is 512 buffer size. I too found this restricting with larger projects (pops and crackles). My previous interfaces could handle these projects with ease. The UH-7000 cannot with Tascam drivers. Bottom line, the drivers need refinement with emphasis on dependable use and shorter RTL.

What interface? Regardless if what interface you use, the buffer size is set in the recording software, because the computer RAM holds the buffer. Stop trying to set the buffer in that goofy middleware and set it in the audio recording software. The UH-7000 manual says as much.

Wait a minute... Are you using this with a Windows machine?

Last edited:
Yes - I'm primarily working within Sonar Platinum on a Win 10. Reading the OP, he's trying the ASIO4ALL driver which tells us he is Windows as well.

I did learn something about the Mac pc from your post. I never bothered to read it since it didn't apply to me, but that's good that you can set your buffer size inside of your audio software. Reaper on the PC also allows the user to do this, but I don't know if the Tascam driver accepts that Reaper directive or not within Windows. More digging is required but it is not my first choice for recording. In the end, we are trying to find a solution for buffer size settings within as you say Tascam's goofy middleware. Hopefully all of this is addressed for upcoming driver releases.

Yeah, sorry. I just figured DAWs worked pretty much the same in both platforms.

No problem - you were trying to help. I'm frustrated with the driver performance especially since the UH-7000 sounds fantastic. There are work arounds for now.

Correct. Im using Windows 10. With all of the other details I was trying to include, I guess I left that out. I should add it to my sig.

ASIO4ALL has been working for me so far, and I will have to rely on it for mixing (not recording) until Tascam releases a version that has buffer sizes in the 1024-2048 range, which work well for me and keep my cpu usage way down.

@five

I recently tried the WDM driver setting from within Sonar for the UH-7000. Within Sonar, I can set the latency similar to how Jim had mentioned doing so in a Mac. Much larger buffer settings are available and I have to say, Sonar ran smoothly with the UH-7000 and WDM drivers. I prefer ASIO drivers, but these WDM drivers seem to work better here.

BTW - As you may know, ASIO4ALL is not a true ASIO driver. From my understanding ASIO4ALL using the WDM drivers as well. The way I look at it, I would rather have my software interface communication with the Tascam WDM drivers than bringing in a 3rd party driver.

I'm on Windows, and using StudioOne Pro 3 and when using the default Tascam driver the highest buffer setting presented to me is 512 samples (in Studio One). The only way I can get higher than that is using the ASIO4ALL driver which allows me to go up to 2048 samples.

While I would rather use the Tascam driver, in order to mix, I have to use the ASIO4ALL driver so that my CPU is not just killed with spikes and such.

I would love to know how to change the latency settings using the Tascam driver, but there is just no option to go higher than 512 samples...unless I'm missing something obvious.

Are you saying that on the Mac with Sonar you can get the default Tascam driver to go higher than 512 samples?

I see. I've done a little research and what I've found so far is Studio One does not allow WDM drivers. So it looks like you are making the best choice you can with ASIO4ALL for now.

BTW - I'm on Windows using Sonar Platinum. As I mentioned earlier, Sonar does offer the WDM driver choice. I was guessing at the time of my previous post that all recording software programs did as well. During my web searching, I found several Studio One users asking for access to WDM. Maybe that will happen soon for you.

Take Care

Reactions: sontom
Ah.....it all makes sense now. Appreciate you spending your time digging into that, it's good to know. Now I can bug Presonus for WDM support. :)

Have a good one!

Hi everybody. I'm new to this forum, but i hope someone can help me. I have immensevevly cpu spikes on every bufer size the tascam driver offers. With the spikes comes crackles in audio. It also appears on an usual windows mme sound basis. Tried everthing. Even rediscovered my whole system. The spikes are gone as soon as i turn my tascam uh7000 off. Cannot workwith it in the moment. Have apc, i7 cpu, 16 Gb ram, Geforce graphic card 2mb ram windows 7 Home 64 bit and running Cubase elements 8. It suddenly appeared. And did so after the new intallation of my system. Has anybody any idea what is going wrong?
Greets Thomas

Are you shure you are using a usb v2 cable and not an older usb v1 cable?

Are you plugged into a usb 2 port and not a usb 3 port on your pc? (I could not get audio out of my unit through a usb 3 port).

Are you seeing the spikes in your daw?

Are there spikes and crackles when your daw is sitting idle and / or when playing back?

It is the cable that came with it and i can get audio out of it. And the spikes are inmy daw. isaw them under vstperformance audio real peak at the highest latency with no plugin at all. the spikes are there wether in idle or playback. I Tested out all my usb-ports. ????

Curios is that when im using the assgll-driver (asio general low latency driver) the problem does not occur. But then i dont have access to the software mixer of the uh-7000. So that means the unit isnt the problem. Using up to date driver and firmware of the 7000.

Cpu never spikes when the 7000 is off

And like i said before 2 weeks ago it all functioned. the probblem was suddenly there. Any Ideas?

I use the ASIO4ALL with mine for the mixing, but I still have the tascam driver installed so I can still access the control panel on my system...do you atill have te tascam driver installed?

What buffer settings have you tried in your DAW?

What sample rate are you testing with? (44.1,48,etc..)

Are the on board (tascam) fx off?

I assume that in your DAW that you dont have any plugins loaded...just trying to monitor the input without issues?

Reactions: sontom

New threads

Members online

No members online now.