Using stereo input for mono track?

Bugatti

Gear owned
Tascam sd24dp
Hi
I have a DP24SD and wish it had more mono inputs in place of some of the stereo ones.

Is there any way to use a stereo input as mono - without it simultaneously recording on both stereo tracks?

I’d like to use it exactly like a mono track - if that’s possible.
Thanks.

I'm no rocket-surgeon, and I have about as much tech know-how as one of Alan Parson's nose hairs.

BUT: I'm pretty sure all the DP's have a feature where you can change a stereo-paired track into a single mono track; on my DP-32, you do this in the "assign" screen...
BUT: you only get one, not two separate ones...for example, if you turn stereo track 23/24 into a mono track, you now have a single mono track numbered "23".

So you can record in mono...but you're not getting any extra tracks-space out of it...

Thanks!

I’ll give your good idea a whirl and if all goes well, I could have six more mono tracks at my disposal.

Unlike Alan Parson’s nose hair (apparently!), I’m obviously no tech savvy genius when it comes to the DP24SD.

If I wanted to record a stereo instrument, I’d do it using 2 mono tracks rather than a stereo pairing. I think that would allow me to pan one track hard left and the other hard right if I wanted to, which I don’t think is possible if using a stereo pairing.

Great pic of the Bernese Mountain Dog by the way - wonderful animals!

I’ll give your good idea a whirl and if all goes well, I could have six more mono tracks at my disposal.
Yes - you "lose" the stereo tracks...but have more mono tracks to use!
Unlike Alan Parson’s nose hair (apparently!), I’m obviously no tech savvy genius when it comes to the DP24SD.
SERiously - don't feel bad. Tascam's user-manual writers make the intelligence of Alan Parson's nose hair look like Einstein. Their manuals for the DP are SO BAD that I can honestly say that once I browsed it after purchase, I've never ONCE referred to it since
You'll do MUCH better perusing Phil Tipping's most-excellent YouTube's.
Great pic of the Bernese Mountain Dog by the way - wonderful animals!
Glad you like it. Got a 1000 of 'em...my boy was the best dog in the history of dogs - by a factor of 10. I'd have given ten years of my life for him to live another 5!!!

If I wanted to record a stereo instrument, I’d do it using 2 mono tracks rather than a stereo pairing. I think that would allow me to pan one track hard left and the other hard right if I wanted to, which I don’t think is possible if using a stereo pairing.
This is a weird-azz feature of the DP's, that I simply don't get...probably something to do with simplifying/saving money in design.
My 2488neo DOES allow this - you record a stereo track, and though they can't be separated into single tracks, BOTH halves of the stereo track are treated as independent and have have their own panning control, EQ's, yada...
For whatever reason, they bagged that in the DP - when you record a stereo track, you can pan the PAIR only. WhatEVER...:rolleyes:

Is there any way to use a stereo input as mono - without it simultaneously recording on both stereo tracks?...I could have six more mono tracks at my disposal
The DP-24/32/SD doesn't have any stereo Inputs. All eight Inputs A~H are mono.

The DP-24/SD stereo Track pairs are not switchable to mono. And on the DP-32/SD stereo tracks that are switchable, you don't gain the full 32 (i.e., any "extra") tracks when switching.

There's a work-around using Audio Depot that actually gives you the full 24/32 tracks on the DP-24/32/SD, but it limits each of the mono signals on the track pair to hard left and hard right on the sound stage; and FX, EQ, and fader impact both tracks. The Stereo Balance Knob can be used to alter the level of one side of the paired tracks relative to the other. A forum search should turn up related threads/posts on bringing two mono tracks into a stereo pair if you think that might work for you. There's also a post in the Production Tips sticky thread on using one fader to control two mono tracks on a stereo pair.

Stereo Tracks are meant for stereo sources brought in through two Inputs and assigned to a stereo track pair. Using instead two mono tracks panned hard L/R makes no sense to me unless you run out of stereo pairs. The only other time I'd bring a stereo source into two separate mono tracks would be to *narrow* the stereo sound stage by panning *less than* full L/R.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-

You just described the very purpose of the stereo tracks. By design the stereo tracks are "panned" hard L/R. The pan control becomes a balance control between them.

You can record a mono input to a stereo track and it will sound right up the center. The pan control will change the balance and will allow you to pan the sound of that track across the stereo field.

Stereo tracks are also great for doing bounces where you submix tracks (like drums) down to stereo. In the end, its all stereo anyway (because I doubt you're doing Atmos on a DP machine). There are threads about how people don't like the stereo tracks, wish they were mono, etc., but every time you do a stereo instrument you use 2 mono tracks anyway.

Another tip for freeing up your mono tracks is to export them to the audio depot and put them on stereo tracks. Example: you record a guitar on 2 mono tracks and intend to pan them hard L/R in the mix. Export those and import them onto a stereo track and you can control them together as a hard L/R stereo pair with a single fader.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Thanks to everyone who’s replied.

I’m sure I’m not alone in finding the Tascam manual somewhat less than enlightening. That’s why I bought Phil Tipping’s easy-to-understand version - which I’d recommend to anyone.

My previous understanding of the Tascam’s stereo pairings was that the left and right audio images were automatically set at about 40% down each side (bad explanation) - so I bow to mjk’s far superior knowledge!

I used to just play and let the engineer handle the technical stuff, so I’m on a long and steep learning curve.

shredd - I’m sure your ‘boy’ was mighty grateful for giving him the happy life he deserved!

Reactions: shredd
My 2488neo DOES allow this - you record a stereo track, and though they can't be separated into single tracks, BOTH halves of the stereo track are treated as independent and have have their own panning control, EQ's, yada...

For the benefit of future 2488 & DP-24/32/SD portastudio owners coming to this thread:

2488 NEO
(from the 2488NEO OM Pages 29, 32, and 33)

Adjacent track channels and input channels can be linked. By linking channels, the parameters of 2 channels (usually the left and right channels of a stereo pair) can be controlled simultaneously. A linked track pair can be formed with an odd-numbered channel and the even-numbered channel immediately to its right. For example, channel 1 can be linked with channel 2, and channel 5 can be linked with channel 6. The left fader of the linked pair controls the levels for both channels).

When track channels are linked, the following parameters can be controlled simultaneously: Faders (the left fader of the linked pair controls the levels for both channels); EQ; Digital pad/gain; Effect send levels and pre/post selection. Pan Control: Linked channels still count as two channels.

When Input channels are linked, the following parameters can be controlled simultaneously: Internal fader values; EQ; Digital pad/gain; Effect send levels and pre/post selection.
Tracks 13–24 form six stereo tracks (13-14, 15-16, 17-18, 19-20, 21-22, 23-24) with each stereo track being controlled by a single fader. Stereo tracks are always recorded as a pair.

Individual Input channels can be assigned to a stereo pair (e.g. Input "A" -->Track 13; Input "C"--> Track 14). Recording on only one channel of the pair is impossible. When assigning a single input channel to a stereo track, the same input is assigned to both tracks. Example: assignment of Input A to track 13; A --> 13, 14.

DP-24/32/SD
On the DP-24/32/SD, all tracks (Mono and Stereo) can be linked using the Fader Group function. Each individual track retains EQ, FX, Fader, Send, Pan, etc. controls. Master fader level for the Fader Group is controlled by the left-most track of the Fader Group.

For the Stereo Pair Tracks (13/14, etc.) EQ, FX, Fader, Send, etc. act on both Tracks of the pair. The stereo Balance Knob adjusts the level of one side of the paired Tracks relative to the other. On the DP-32/SD, the Stereo Tracks can be switched to Mono operation.

Inputs A~H cannot be linked except that the Dynamic Compressor can be linked to two adjacent Inputs (e.g. "A"&"B").

Only adjacent Inputs can be Assigned to a stereo pair (e.g. "A" & "B" ---> 13 & 14). On the DP-24/SD, if only one Input is assigned to one of the stereo tracks, then that Input is assigned to both tracks (e.g., "A" -->13, results in "A"-->13/14), creating a Mono signal, and the stereo Balance Knob functions as a Pan control.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online