cmaffia

Staff member
From
Queens, New York
Website
cmaffia.wix.com
Gear owned
2 x DM3200, DA-3000
Anyone on the Windows 10 platform using the latest Beta firewire drivers?
Any issues? Does Windows 10 include the legacy firewire drivers?

Very good question indeed.. I'm curious of that too.

Have to send in my DAW workstation in for repair. Thankfully under warranty! In addition to the repairs, I'm having them build a Windows 10 OS for me on a spare drive so I will have an an answer sometime after the new year. I know the Frontier Tranzport will work. I know that Cubase 8.5 is OK as well. If the firewire legacy drivers are in Win 10 then we should be OK as well (fingers crossed)

Good to know the Tranzport will work. I assume TMC will be alright too. I do have a Win10 laptop but can only use that to test USB devices, which I might do in a week or two.

No..

I believe the latest beta works...that's what I will be testing unless RedBus has any additional information.

Please do share your findings! I'm pondering moving to an RME / ADAT solution with firewire support waning.

I'm using the latest beta drivers with my DM4800s and Cubase 8/Windows 10. I've not noticed any issues yet.

@qwertycopter Can you confirm if fire-wire legacy drivers are included in Windows 10? Most, if not all, of us have to use the legacy drivers for rock solid performance ever since Windows 7.

Yes, W10 x64 includes the legacy FW drivers. They were going to be offered as an optional download and install, but I believe enough complaints durring the Beta cycle convinced them to include them since the "New and Improved" W10 Firewire drivers broke a lot (most) legacy Firewire devices.

While my main rig is a Mac Pro trash can, on another rig I have UAD Apollo & Satellite FW as well as UAD PCIe working well in W10 x64 and they require using the legacy W7 FW drivers.

That doesn't mean the Tascam IFFW interface will work fine, but I would expect that it would.

Ah I see.. well the fact that Win10 has the legacy fire-wire drivers does give some hope that the IF-FW/DM MKII will work.

These seem to be my options for firewire drivers. I used to use the legacy drivers in Windows 7 but I'm not having any issues with these (I'm using the Texas Instruments one)

Attachments

• FirewireDrivers.jpg
    FirewireDrivers.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 48
Hmm.. I expected to see the word "legacy" like I do in Windows 7. One of those is the legacy driver??

Not in front of my W10 rig right now. I'm not sure if they were labeled legacy,in Device Manager but I remember that the TI driver listed is from 2006 so that is legacy. The legacy TI driver is required for UAD Apollo & Satellite.

Sounds promising. Thanks for the info gents!

Yeah, sounds promising indeed! Thanks for the info guys.

I've got a new System (with W10 Pro). The old one had a PCI-FW-Card, worked fine. Sadly there's no PCI-slot on the new mainboard. I have a PCI-E-card with a TI-chipset, but it doesn't work (dropouts with 1.21 driver and connection freeze with 1.30b...) and I can't figure out which chipset-version it has. Tried the legacy-driver, same issues. So... Do you have any tipps on which PCI-E-FW-card I should buy (need international shipment)? It's really hard to find one by chipset, most of them just say VIA/LSI and i don't want to go with TI for obvious reasons...

By the way:
Here's the link to the legacy drivers (for other googlers): https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2970191

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the legacy FW drivers were included Win10. The link you sent is for adding it to Windows 8? I should have my Win10 system up in a few weeks to test as well.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.