Windows 10 /Firewire Drivers

I was under the impression that the legacy FW drivers were included Win10. The link you sent is for adding it to Windows 8? I should have my Win10 system up in a few weeks to test as well.

Perhaps I can explain any confusion.

Microsoft changed/updated/re-wrote the FW drivers in W8/8.1 and when users started to pound on them about the problems and issues with FW devices, they then allowed the Legacy FW drivers from W7 to be downloaded and be installed in W8/8.1 rather than fix what they broke or to include the W7 Legacy FW drivers in W8/8.1 installer.

Thus, only those that really needed them installed them. The same applies to W10 which I believe are either the same W8/8.1`FW drivers or a mild variation of them included in W10. W10 isn't really W10 as much as it is W8.5 that they choose to name W10 as far as DAW and ASIO audio goes.

Since most if not all the same FW issues were also in W10, including in the W10 pre-release insiders versions, they instructed users to download and install the W7 Legacy FW drivers into W10. They only mention that they are for W8/8.1 as that is how they were first offered and they have never bothered to update their documentation as it is officially unsupported. I don't expect that they will ever update those docs as FW dies of unsupported old age just as we won't likely ever see another official release of IFFW drives from Tascam.

Note that those W7 Legacy drivers had to be re-installed every time a new W10 pre-release build was pushed out. That may still be the case for W10 public release builds as well. I haven't keep track of that as the TI Legacy driver that is included in W10 is what I use testing W10 with the Sonnet FW800 PCIe card with UAD FW Apollo & UAD FW Satellite.

Reactions: cmaffia
GOOD NEWS> UPDATE
If you install the package linked below, this installs the legacy driver in Windows 10 and now all is perfect. There's still the USB naming/cascade issue though but for 99% of you I can say that we are safe with the firewire performance in Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44218

Thanks AudioWave. Coincidently while you were composing your response I was busy having a "Eureka" moment. At least we now we have an explanation as to what drivers come with Windows 10 and the need to install the legacy drivers. Note that when you execute the package it will not show as a 3rd driver option. In the device manager you need to right click on the existing driver, choose update, then choose let me choose my own location and point to
C:\program files (x86)\1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)". It will then install the driver and you'll see it listed.

New threads

Members online