238 trk not recording

Discussion in 'TASCAM Analog Forum' started by Caveman, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Caveman

Caveman New Member

Gear:
    Mx2424,38,238,dp24sd,22-2
    So 238 trk 7 getting signal but after recording, nuthin. Nuthin on meter nuthin coming from trk. Same machine I was getting horrible amounts of crosstalk on trk 7 before. Reseated card several times crosstalk went away.

I have some spare cards I’m going to replace card that’s in there hopefully this coming week, maybe that will fix issue and I can fix card or send it out for repair.

Anyone run into this issue and what did you find?

thanks
  2. Caveman

Caveman New Member

Gear:
    Couldn’t sleep 238 on my mind so got up changed out the card.
    Working as it should.
    I should have it setup properly by someone with tools and experience to match rest of cards and machine.

I will later, have backup 238 getting repairs first. I want to recap my spare cards first install then send it out for setup. I know, most ppl think the $ setting up an old 8 trk cassette isn’t worth it.
    Some ppl restore old Corvairs and pintos and are happy. ;-)
  3. Matt Richter

Matt Richter New Member

Woodside, CA
    Gear:
    DR-44WL
    1965 Mustang. And a 1974 Fiat 124 Spiders... And a 1972 Jeep CJ-5. Old doesn't mean done. I've also found that with improved design tools, things aren't over-engineered like stuff from the 50s and 60s. When we bought our house 20 years ago, it had a Quasar RadarRange Microwave oven built in 1983. Still working great now! If it works for you, keep it running/working. And do it proudly!
    Caveman likes this.
  4. Caveman

Caveman New Member

Gear:
    I agree. I have classic vehicles that bring me much joy. The 238’s are a real blast for me. I love using them. Cassettes are still cheaper than reels of tape. Don’t take up much room. The sound isn’t horrible either. I have a hybrid setup, I use digital stand alone, daw, analog boards reel to reel. I have a bunch of 4 trk cassette decks. The 238’s bring me a lot of joy it’s like being on vacation and getting paid. No comping 40 vocal tracks, no cut copy paste, fixing every little thing. Nothing wrong with that but after a couple decades it’s nice to get back to basics and price of tape, cassettes are still cheap enough bands don’t faint at price. Tell a young band you need $700 up front for tape they start out gassing from stress. Lol

I’m very happy replacement card fixed my issue and I can continue having fun!