238 trk not recording

Caveman

Veteran
Gear owned
Mx2424,38,238,dp24sd,22-2
So 238 trk 7 getting signal but after recording, nuthin. Nuthin on meter nuthin coming from trk. Same machine I was getting horrible amounts of crosstalk on trk 7 before. Reseated card several times crosstalk went away.

I have some spare cards I’m going to replace card that’s in there hopefully this coming week, maybe that will fix issue and I can fix card or send it out for repair.

Anyone run into this issue and what did you find?

thanks

Couldn’t sleep 238 on my mind so got up changed out the card.
Working as it should.
I should have it setup properly by someone with tools and experience to match rest of cards and machine.

I will later, have backup 238 getting repairs first. I want to recap my spare cards first install then send it out for setup. I know, most ppl think the $ setting up an old 8 trk cassette isn’t worth it.
Some ppl restore old Corvairs and pintos and are happy. ;-)

1965 Mustang. And a 1974 Fiat 124 Spiders... And a 1972 Jeep CJ-5. Old doesn't mean done. I've also found that with improved design tools, things aren't over-engineered like stuff from the 50s and 60s. When we bought our house 20 years ago, it had a Quasar RadarRange Microwave oven built in 1983. Still working great now! If it works for you, keep it running/working. And do it proudly!

Reactions: Caveman
I agree. I have classic vehicles that bring me much joy. The 238’s are a real blast for me. I love using them. Cassettes are still cheaper than reels of tape. Don’t take up much room. The sound isn’t horrible either. I have a hybrid setup, I use digital stand alone, daw, analog boards reel to reel. I have a bunch of 4 trk cassette decks. The 238’s bring me a lot of joy it’s like being on vacation and getting paid. No comping 40 vocal tracks, no cut copy paste, fixing every little thing. Nothing wrong with that but after a couple decades it’s nice to get back to basics and price of tape, cassettes are still cheap enough bands don’t faint at price. Tell a young band you need $700 up front for tape they start out gassing from stress. Lol

I’m very happy replacement card fixed my issue and I can continue having fun!

New threads

Members online