cmaffia

Staff member
From
Queens, New York
Website
cmaffia.wix.com
Gear owned
2 x DM3200, DA-3000
Greetings all. Just installed my 2SeeMy card in my DM3200 finally after 6 months of purchasing). It took me like a 1/2 hour and it worked on the first try. I see an issue with it though and I was wondering if those who have it installed noticed the same. When I have a monitor plugged into it, there is a slight grounding hum coming through on the Studio Monitor Outs. If I pull it out, it disappears. I tried the USB connection and noticed the same hum. Its not a big deal as it is very low but I was just wondering if others had experienced this too and if anyone had suggestion how to remedy the situation.

Thanks
Charlie

Sounds like the easiest fix is a stereo direct box according to Wilfred's forum.
Do other DM users plug their RCA studio monitor connectors to one as well in general?

I've never had a need... I run a pretty cheap pair of M-Audio speakers from those outputs that I use as Awfultones (to check bass and low mid buildup on TVs and such) and haven't had any ground noise in the boxes (and I have them cranked).

Then I must have a grounding issue and the 2SeeMy card has just revealed it. Anyone I ordered a Stereo Direct Box/Ground Isolation which was recommended by both Wilfred and another user at the 2seeMy forum. Thanks for the confirmation.

Well the Rolls MatchPro did nothing.
I guess I have a wiring/grounding problem that is causing this.

Sorry to hear that C. I am surprised. You said that it is only coming out one speaker? Did you connect the other speaker to the same output to make sure it's the line signal and not the speaker?

BTW, does the hum show up in a recorded track? Tell me again where you have these speakers plugged into? was it the rosetta?

AS a general rule, your doctor will tell you that if you start taking a new medication and start feeling really weird, it's probably the medication.

Not to be a drag, but I would suspect that the 2SeeMy card is the source. I'd try checking the connections, reseating the card, blah blah blah.

TascMan said:
Sorry to hear that C. I am surprised. You said that it is only coming out one speaker? Did you connect the other speaker to the same output to make sure it's the line signal and not the speaker?

BTW, does the hum show up in a recorded track? Tell me again where you have these speakers plugged into? was it the rosetta?

It comes out of one more than the other. Currently they are connected to different Furman strips but all roads lead to same outlet. Even put on same Furman strip. Same thing. No it doesn't show up in recordings. Not in headphones or through control monitors. Just through the Studio outputs of the DM3200

Gravity Jim said:
AS a general rule, your doctor will tell you that if you start taking a new medication and start feeling really weird, it's probably the medication.

Not to be a drag, but I would suspect that the 2SeeMy card is the source. I'd try checking the connections, reseating the card, blah blah blah.

I agree and I could check but in regards to reseating the card, you know how simple this was. 2 screws on the riser and 2 screws externally to mount the interface. What should I check for here? Connections...the display on both the DM3200 and the application and VGA is perfect..I'm not sure what else to do. It's either a grounding issue (as there is no hum when I disconnect the VGA monitor and/or the USB connection) a common problem or a defective card?

Last edited by a moderator:
How is your VGA monitor powered?
Is it a 3 prong AC connection?
Have you tried ground lifting it?
Sounds like all is well until you plug it in.
Just a thought.

1. VGA monitor is powered like the other 2.
2. 3 prong to a furman power strip to a UPS and Voltage regulator.
3. How would I lift ground? Is there a device?
4. Correct! All is well until I plug either the USB cable or VGA (mind you those are TWO separate sources).

I've reduced it by converting the RCA to TRS so at this time it is barely audible. I could live with that. My question is why the noise when activated??

Oh Ok! so what am I plugging these into in my chain? My monitors? The DM3200? All of the above? :)

A ground lift on each studio monitor speaker fixed the problem! All for the price of $1.89!
Thanks for the advice!

cmaffia said:
A ground lift on each studio monitor speaker fixed the problem! All for the price of $1.89!
Great you got rid of the problem Charlie - but I suspect you do realize that lifting the ground also lifts the product safety. Now with studio monitors I don't think you'll see a problem soon, but don't do the same with guitar amps utilizing 400 Volt tube circuits inside, and bottles of beer on top..

Roger that! The Cool Guy Setup for getting rid of this problem is an isolation transformer in the audio line.

I had a massive buzz show up out of nowhere in my headphone distribution amp, and put an isolation transformer between the DM's output and the distro amp for instant silence. Now, I DID use the $1.89 ground defeat as a diagnostic tool (they're great for finding the source of the loop).... but there was no way I wanted to leave it like that and suddenly shoot 120v to ground through a singer's headphones. On your monitors, it's probably not a safety issue... but it would bug me knowing they weren't grounded at all. I'd hold my breath every time I reached for the power switch....

Can anyone send me a link to such a device? Much appreciated

New threads

Members online

No members online now.