414 mkII fader mod question

skurk

Gear owned
414 mkii & 244
Hi!

I use a 414 mkII when playing live with my band. I have drones and chords on each trach that I fade in and out. I also play guitar and sometims I wish I could activate the tracks with a foot switch. I then made a pedalboard with a circuit that controls 4 switches, and I thought i could use these switches to bypass/short the fader(since the fader is zero ohm when maxed out. The thing that happes tho, is the signal gets really weak and it bypasses EQs/aux/meters. I really don't understand how the faders are working. Are they just connected to a voltage controlled amplifier? It's really hard to follow the circuit without a manual. Anyone have any clue?

Some guys get ideas that will quickly get them into trouble because they have the perception that this unit is a simple unit but modifying such a unit first ruins it and then unless done by a person who understands Electronics- like a Engineer or seasoned Technician, it is better to leave such things like this to them. The channels can be switched into the audio path through line inputs so there are no need to interface directly into a fader circuit that could possibly need coupling capacitors to take DC off the audio line. Most special needs can be accomplished outside of the unit and the unit just used as it was meant to with items plugged into it.

If a need to inject a signal into the master fader of most mixers there is on some units a Buss input that will do that. I would need to study the block diagram to see what could be done exactly. I have worked in Radio where there were many interfaces to switch audio into many other source so this kind of thing is common place to Radio Engineers.

I have worked on this unit and I do not think they went the path of VCA's as these are usually a complex and expensive thing to implement.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.