644 repair

Thanks Keef! This helps a lot.

Hi to all tascam users :)
I am new here.
My Tascam midi studio 644 stopped playing tapes after being in a humid storage for 8 years
the rewind and forward do work , just the play doesn't engages .
reading from this tread ..I wonder if its a capstain motor or belt or something else?
How do I test and find out exactly what it might be without going trough trouble
of opening the unit?
thanks in advance
cheers
Dimitri

P.S. here is a video of the issue

Hello Dimitri,
Welcome to the group! read back the thread, you will probably find answer on your question. On the first sight it seems that the capstan system is not wortking at all. It can be the belt, it can be the motor, or both. You cant really do too much without opening the beast and look into it. In the thread there are hints how to do it.
good luck!
Laszlo

thank you Laszlo for replying that fast!
I've downloaded the service manual and going trough the "opening unit" part right now. will attempt the opening...later today.

do you think that humid room storage inactive for 8 years could
destroy the motor or rather the rubber belt,
cause I am afraid it would be very tough to find a ned captain motor or replacement ?

Humidity is rather bad for the metal parts, but in general for everything..The rubber materials rather disintegrate by time, usually become soft even fluid. You will need to carefully find these parts of rubber and remove them later clean the contaminated surface with solvent.
Motors can get stuck at their bearings, due to the dried lubricant. If they are still forced to go, then they burn down.

Reactions: jazzroom

New threads

Members online

No members online now.