788 output question

Justin1981

Gear owned
Tascam 788
ok, so I bought one of these years ago, it sat and sat, finally I wanted to record some music and dug it out, no power cord. so I just bought another one, I mean got it for 75$ and its in better shape that the 1st one. bothe have 1.02 and 1.03 firmware on them. well after getting into this I see what a nightmare it is, no cd-rw's to hook to it, and so on. well I found a Teac 6x24 (cd-R56S6) one of the only 3 other drives that's will work with this thing and the only one that would work with my firmware. now the cd-r was brand new! in the box, problem there is its the wrong cable (of course) to hook to the 788, this cable looks like one of the old printer cables (25pin) so no go there. So after that I said well, there is a stereo rca out as well as a Monitor output, so I just hooked it to the line in on my computer and ran it in Adobe Audition, that worked and I just recorded the line in and then fooled with it and then saved it as an mp3 (altho with audition you can save as just about anything). ok so that's fine, well on the old 788 I bought it had some songs left on it, so I wanted to listen to them, the issue is that only one of the 7 songs on it will play thru the stereo output, the others I have to hook it to the monitor output (or the phones of course). I then hooked a line from the computer to the Tascam input 1, recorded a min or so of a song and played it back, and it wouldn't play in stereo either, only using the monitor outputs. so im guessing that it must be something on the 788 you have to do to make it a stereo output signal?

so my few questions are this.

1.Is there an adaptor that will fit on that 25pin plug to step it down to the smaller scsi for the Tascam 788, and use the cd-r drive?

2.why will only one of the songs play using the stereo output?

3.is anyone else using there 788 in this manner? (running it using the stereo or monitor outs to there computer for recording and getting the tracts?)

any input is great, I don't normally get good replies on Forums, I must ask the weirdest questions or something, but after exhausting all efforts to find out via internet, I figured id just ask some ppl who have the thing lol

thanks in advance
Justin

No reply, no shock...........
if anyone ever has the same problem just thought id add this as I have figured it out.
if you end up with one of the "other" CD-R drives as I did after digging thru the haystack and you are looking for adaptor DB25F to HD50M http://www.ebay.com/itm/291573156260?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

you can run it into your computer using your sound card "line in" and then recording the audio ( I used Adobe Audition but im sure there are others that will record from the computers line in) and then you can save them as mp3's or whatever you like. sucks because you have to do it one track at a time, but hey, it is what it is if your stuck with this unit for awhile.

still haven't figured out the "stereo out" thing yet, but im sure it has something to do with saving it on the 788, seeing as how 1 will work and the others will not. who knows

but if you have the money, or have to wait a little longer do it, don't buy a 788, buy another unit, a later model with usb, this thing is a nightmare.

1. wont work with newer cd-rw's, and nearly impossible to find the ones it will work with.
2. no usb for computer
3.scsi connection and most computers now do not come with that card installed, and chances are that it will not work for some reason with this 788 and there are no drivers without changing this and that and its honestly not worth it.

so bottom line, skip the 788, Tascam is a great product and im sure this was 12 years ago, but not now, just save your money and buy a later model Tascam......

New threads

Members online

No members online now.