Adding effects , Creating sub-mixes and the Audio Depot

Ropaul

From
Leicester, UK
Gear owned
TASCAM DP 32SD
Hello!

I am intrigued by some of the methods people are using for adding Send Effects throughout the recording process and having them "print" onto tracks. The Stickies are excellent and these in combination with Phil Tipping's video tutorials are a great help, I think I am nearly there.

What I could really do with though is a step by step on importing sub-mixes back into my song once I have applied FX and EQ in Mixdown Mode. I am using a Lexicon MX300 connected to Send 1 and 2 of the Tascam in a stereo configuration which does allow me to add 2 different effects to 2 different sources at the same time.
  • Having already recorded guitar and bass etc, I have recorded a dry drum performance to 4 mono tracks, (1-4 in this case).
  • I set the correct In/Out points and have entered Mixdown mode and used the Lexicon to add 2 subtly different compression effects to track 1 and 2 (Kick and Snare).
  • I don't want to apply any effects or EQ to the guitar and BASS etc at this stage so mute these tracks.
  • I am happy with the settings I have made to tracks 1-2 so press REC -
  • I don't at this stage want to apply any compression or EQ etc in the Tascam's Mastering Suite.
How do I get these 2 tracks back into my song in multitrack mode? with the Effect and EQ I applied during mixdown printed to the track?
  • On Tracks 3 and 4 I have recorded Glyn Johns style room mic/overheads.
  • I set the correct In/Out points, enter Mixdown mode and apply via the send effects reverb and EQ and once happy with the results I press REC.
  • This time I want to add some global compression and EQ in the mastering suite. I do this and I am happy with the drum track and so press record.
Again How do I get these files back into the song in multitrack mode so I can continue working on the song?

There are various other parts on different tracks, guitar, vocals etc but I don't want them at this stage to be involved in any submixing, but there are spare mono and Stereo tracks with nothing recorded on to them at all.

I don't always have a computer connected so if at all possible would like an explanation of how it is possible with and without a USB connection. I appreciate the answer is probably in the stickies but I am still struggling and wondered if anyone can step-by- step it. I wonder do I need to create a copy of the song for each sub mix I want to import or is there a different explanation

Any advice gratefully received, Ropaul

Hi Ropaul, no time for a step-by-step... but if you go down the mixdown path, the only way to get the mix back into multitrack is via a computer. If you use bounce instead of mixdown, your mix will be on a 'normal' multi-track track, so you can re-process it as reqd.
Tutorial 9 shows bouncing.
Tutorial 10 at 17:40 shows how to transfer a mixdown mix to a PC, and 18:30 shows how to transfer a mix from the PC back to multi-track mode.
Hope this is enough to get you off the ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Porter
Hi Ropaul, welcome. The user manual tells you where to find the mixdown file. Basically you just copy it to the Audio Depot and import it back into the song on whatever tracks you want.

Reactions: David Porter
Thanks both, much appreciated, I have now got to grips with the sub mix method using a computer. I am really pleased with the results having added some compression and reverb effects from my Lexicon out board to individual parts, then able to add some further EQ and comression to individual parts, eg a kick drum in the mastering mode, before importing back into the song. Obviously this is more labourious than bouncing as if you want different mastering settings for each part you have to repeat the process but it does give you further options so i think its worth the effort. I used a lap top which i sometimes have access to, but dont always, and hoped there was someway of completing the process i described without a computer. It sounds like this isn't possible, so a trip to PC World seems likely!
Thanks again for your advice
Ropaul

Last edited:
All you need the computer for is for transferring files. A card reader and a tablet will do that too.

New threads

Members online