Arjan P

Soundaholic
From
Netherlands
Website
www.soundbyte.nl
Gear owned
DM3200 IFFW
This is a typical Covid-era production, where all was done by yours truly. I thought it would be a nice project to cover my favourite eighties track and build everything from scratch. The original track is by the mysterious band "Freur", which was originally only identified by a curly sign. Much later the two key people became progressive house and techno band Underworld, which rose to fame in the nineties.

Everything was done in Cubase Pro 10, with drums & percussion played/programmed in Groove Agent and many other VSTi synth sounds coming from HALion. Real synths used are the Roland MKS-50 (rack version of the Alpha Juno 2), Roland SC-880 and strings from the Nord Electro 3. Vocals were recorded through my standard chain of Neumann TLM-103 and TL Audio C5021 compressor. Mixed from Cubase though the DM-3200, adding some EQ and effects, also outboard and then recorded into Wavelab Pro 10, where also mastering was done.

If you have time to listen, let me know what you think! Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/soundbytestudio/doot-doot-fragile-ltd

Love those vintage synths man! The buzzy pad underneath is heavenly! Well engineered and overall very nice. Did you use the console automation system? Nice work, @Arjan P!

@-mjk- Thanks! Yeah it might have turned out more 'Eighties' than the original ;) As for automation, I only use it inside Cubase, otherwise I find it too confusing to have it at both ends, and it's much easier anyway, drawing lines and shaping curves inside the software. Thanks for listening!

Reactions: -mjk-
I'm a total novice to this sort of work Arjan but it does sound fantastic. Really enjoyed it.

Reactions: Arjan P
Nicely done, Arjan! Great mix, great sound.

Reactions: -mjk- and Arjan P
Yeah it might have turned out more 'Eighties' than the original ;)

You can't have too much 80s!

Reactions: Arjan P
Lush! I got some 80’s vibe but definitely fresh and much better, richer smoother. It’s like you dialed out the “hokey” and kept the cool. Amazing vocal blends. Great song too. Cymbal hits perhaps a tiny bit loud in only in the opening few bars—- I turned it down only to turn it up as the song started flowing.

Last edited:
Thanks, Jschmo!
Now that you mention it, the hihat does stick out a bit in the beginning - but maybe because you mentioned it, these things are never simple..

New threads

Members online