Are all 3-way switches interchangeable in all Portastudio models?

obZen

Gear owned
414MKII, 424MKII, 488MKII
I have a hunch that my 488mkII has a faulty 3-way input switch (line, tape, multi-mix) is faulty. A cheap Portastudio 424 mki has come up that's pretty broken and pretty cheap and I see that it does have a few 3-way switches. It looks like track 1-4 on the 424mki have 3-way switches, as well as the dbx, tape speed, zero return, and memory.

Could I cannibalize this 424mki and use one of these 3-way switches to replace on my 488mkii?

Switches usually only get tarnished and so a spray of Deoxit will do much more good that removing the mixing PCB and trying to put in a new switch. There is no reason to think that the two model switches are the same unless you compare one to the other side by side- they could have different pin outs and solder patterns. People that always want to change things out like solenoids and entire PCB's usually are working from a very low status of repair and often times spend a lot to make a door stop. I very rarely replace boards in decks and most the time just repair what is there.

New threads

Members online