Are there any SX1 alternatives?

Kev4374

Gear owned
Sx1
First I’d like to say I’ve had my SX1 since 2004 and love it. So much so I purchased a second one with a spare MB, hard drives, video screens, you name it. I probably have enough parts to rebuild my main unit 3-4 times and plan on doing that when the need arises. However I still find myself looking to see what else is out there just in case. I can’t find anything comparable. Am I missing something? Have any of you found a comparable, current, alternative to the SX1?

Just curious.
Thanks,
Kevin

Reactions: Uriahsmusic
If you want to sta in the Tascam Universe, the Portastudio is the closest for all in one. You could graduate to the now unsupported DM3200/4800 or embrace the new Console 24 but for any of those mentioned you will need to rely on DAW software/PC/Mac.

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at the ones you mentioned. Not what I’m looking for. It wouldn’t have to be Tascam. I would consider anything, but I would want an all in one solution like the SX1. I don’t ever want a DAW running through a computer ever again. Too many issues.

Reactions: -mjk-
Then you'll need to get the latest Portastudio.

....I too couldnt find anything like it!....why would it be so hard to add a midi recorder to the dm series with a meter bridge and a vidio out?..... My sx 1 was simply the best writing tool ever and the sound was so thick and amazing!........with todays upgrades I am positive this could be created for $2000 retail!.......If I were the design chief at tascam....it would be done today!.....no windows b.s. Needed..........HELL.....MAKE A DEAL WITH REAPER!!!!....THIS IS ALMOST FREEWARE....AND beats everything......free!!!!!! Make a deal ....build it in!.........rock and roll!!!!

Use Reaper? You just made the case to use a computer. All in ones are limited to today’s standards. Check out Tascam’s Model 24 that was just released. Take your existing computer and simply install Reaper and 99% of what your wishes are already realized.

I liked my SX-1 so much, I have 8 of them. 3 are always ready, 1 is a back up and the other 4 need motherboards.....

....I could not express the love I had for this machine!...I ran across it totally by accident!....It looked comfortable....it had both midi and audio....it was super cheap! Used!.....But when I heard the sound it simply amazed me.....I think I might have owned every recorder out there.......my disappointment is found in the almost defiance that the product designers show in terms of creating a product that works absent seperate computers.....from my corporate days I can now piece together why everything sucks outside of relative comparisons. Why not ask 20 inovators what would work?....then make it!.....make affordable....make it so it lasts.....la la la.....I get it.....if we made a product that worked.....what would we charge you cfcfor tomorrow?.....kind of like the printer ,ink philosophy....or maybe the hotdog / bun theory!.......it just sucks!.....breathing.....breathing......

New threads

Staff online

Members online