ATR-60-8.. adding a 4 track head..?

DEDKOwh

Gear owned
25-5, 80-2, BR-20, 60-8
Hello.

I'm in the middle of a tape digitization project and I need to be able to handle both 1/2" 8 and 4 track tapes.

I have a solid ATR-60 current configured with 8 track record/sync heads.

Can I simply install a 4 track head into the sync slot and be able to play back 4 track tapes, or is more involved than that? The plugs appear to be the same for 4/8.

Thanks!

Hi, DEDKOwh!
Can I simply install a 4 track head into the sync slot and be able to play back 4 track tapes?
Yes, you can, but the result will not be better then to parallel two tracks.

I advise against such practice and even when it is done physically the heads still need alignment and the electronics calibration as all heads are different. The idea of the plug in head and go is for those that do not have knowledge of decks- the plug in head stacks I saw never were in correct position. It is more complicated than that. This is the reason some places have different machines for the different formats.

the heads still need alignment and the electronics calibration as all heads are different.
DEDKOwh, this is not the only reason. To reproduce from record head is usual practice in multitrackers. This is why some Tascams have the same heads on reproduce and record, but not 60. It seems ATR-60 has different heads and you doesn't specified the type of head you want to install instead of rec-8tr. To play from rec-head is not a good idea at all (especially for digitization), but in order to play from play-head is necessary essentially recalibrate sync-part of rec/play amplifier PCB, not simply install a 4 track head into the sync slot.

New threads

Members online