ATR-80 manual? Issues with remote

svart

Gear owned
ATR-80
I'm a new owner of an ATR-80. It's been out of service for a couple decades, so the heads are practically new and everything else has very low hours.

However, everything seems to work except the remote unit RC-824. It has an issue where every button is triggering the function of the button next to it.. Say the PLAY, STOP and REWIND buttons are next to each other, so that means the PLAY button triggers the unit to STOP, and STOP triggers REWIND, etc.

Also, every now and then the remote will work normally for a few seconds to minutes and then go back to being offset..

In any case, I have not been able to find a manual for the ATR-80, the remote or any part of the system at all. It's almost like there is NO information besides a couple scanned brochures out there. It also seems like a lot of folks have asked the same questions about manuals and such, and the threads just die.

I'm also wondering if the cable I have is the right one. It pins out straight through, 1-to-1, etc.

Any info would be appreciated.

So it looks like I might have fixed the remote issue. I'd still love to get documents on the unit though..

Seems that if the power supply doesn't come up fast enough, the unit will glitch, and exhibit the "offset" behavior. I replaced the power supply with a modern high-efficiency point-of-load module and it's been working well ever since.

Hello Svart:
I also had problems in the remote and in th autolocator ...
I saw the first bad sign in the RC832 ... when its leds started to light slowly

The first problem source was the slow-blow fuse inside the deck, rear, near the remote connector (I think in the same connector's PCB)
The second (and the important): the DC-DC converter inside the remote ...

The Remote & AutoLocator 12v to 5v converters, that are not a Tascam part, are out of fabrication line.
... and the manual has not more information about these that: "DC-DC Converter" (or some similar)

My technician and me have repaired two times the conversors Volgen 05002D ...
Two times each one ...Hard work without schematics!
The next time that any of two fall back, doing the same like you have made, we will replace these.

And now, knowing your bad experience, i confirm my suspicion about these DC-DC converters: "the Volgen 05002D is not a good device"

I don't understand which are your doubt about your cable.
I think that if you have a incorrect cable ... you can do nothing!

Last edited:
I just purchased this deck and remote but need the cable so I am unsure if my remote even works. Crossing fingers I'll find out Monday when the DB50 cable arrives. Any luck on getting the manual? Seems to be as hard to find as the Holy Grail...LBS

When manuals are scarce what I do is get one from someone in good shape then I will Fed Ex it to Rick at Stereomanuals.com who has the right reproduction tools to do the job and have him make a couple and he then usually makes some for himself. It costs some money to get this up and reproduced but it could help you as well as a lot of People. Maybe Wrkbee has a manual.
Getting a rare item like that reproduced is of great importance as when the original disappears then there will be no possibility of copies. Rick does outstanding work on manuals every time.

Thanks SkywaveTDR but that seems to be my problem, I cannot seem to locate the manual anywhere.

Hey @AP Radio & Recording. I've had similar problems trying to track down an ATR-80 manual! On the Documentation thread someone has kindly posted an ATR-60 manual which is about as close as we can get at the moment I think. Grrr.....

New threads

Members online

No members online now.