Audible "Pop" at the start of a mastered song in Mastering Mode and on the final CDR recording

Iain Gallagher

From
Kendal, United Kingdom
Gear owned
Tascam DP32
Hi folks, I'm a newbie to the Tascam Forums. I've had a DP32 since about 2015 and I'm still trying to get my head around fully understanding the unit to make great recordings.

I recorded one song about two years ago - without problem it would seem, but now I have an issue with the second song that I've recorded on to the DP32, and this appears to rear it's head after you've recorded your master file in Mixdown Mode and then gone into into mastering mode.

Yesterday, I mixed down the tracks after setting in & out points, intered mixdown mode and recorded a master file. The user manual states you then have to go from the Mixdown to the Mastering screen in order to listen to the master file and then decide if you want to apply any of the effects - Equalization, Compression, NSD and Normalisation. I decided to see how the master file sounded with some compression, liked the result; and then went on to add NSD and normalisation because you should - shouldn't you? That's the impression the user manual gives anyway!

One thing I noticed was that the resulting master file after the effects had been added, seemed to be slightly elevated in volume - possibly something to do with using the compressor. However, I also noticed there was an audible "pop" or clunk when I pressed the play button which seemed odd as when you press play in Multitrack Mode there is no such pop or clunk. The best thing I can liken it to is like turning on the power supply to an ampifier when you've forgotten to turn the volume down, I'm sure you've an idea what I mean!

The annoying thing is that when I went on to burn a copy of the master file to CDR, I discovered that the resulting recording starts with that "pop" which is obviously not what I want.

This problem does not happen when playing in Multitrack or Mixdown modes. However, as soon as you go into mastering and press play - there it is! I've tried turning off all of the effects in Mastering Mode and re-recording the master file. but the problem persists in Mastering. It's almost like I've inadvertently turned some gain up somewhere - but if I have, I don't know where!

Can anyone help?

My guess is that there is some transient sound at the beginning that is being pushed into distortion - which in the digital domain often makes pops. Try pressing Undo while in Mastering mode to undo the mastering effects. Turn the Compresser level down a bit and see if that fixes the issue.

In Mastering mode, keep an eye on the Stereo levels and keep the red lights from coming on during peaks. If you play the Master back and you see a red peak light at that noise, then you have peak distortion happening. Repeated pressings of the Undo button goes back and forth between adding and removing the Mastering effects, so you can check your work.

What firmware version do you have installed on your DP-32?
Diagnosing an issue is a useless exercise if you don't have the most current firmware installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online