Audio drops Model 12 HELP

Troy Bowditch

Gear owned
Model 12
I noticed right out of the box after a day of reading the manual and setting everything up, my audio playback would just completely cut out and drop. I can get it to work again by going into the DAW preferences and re-selecting the Model 12 as my audio interface. Then audio once again comes through my speakers as it should.

I called Tascam support the first week after this annoying inconvenience was no longer tolerable. They walked me through a firmware update (which I already did) and a factory reset (which I also already did) and then discovered that I was running Reaper as my DAW and said, we’ll thats your problem. I put this problem aside for a couple months thinking that I’ll eventually just switch to another DAW or wait for Reaper to fix this error. No big.

Then yesterday I wanted to play a video game using my studio speakers through my tascam instead of my computer speakers. Opened up System Preferences in my iMac and in sound selected Model 12. After a minute of play, THE AUDIO DROPS! I am now panicing. I go to system prefs and just click Model 12 again and the audio comes back on... This means Reaper is not the culprit and I have wasted my time of easy return swap of a lemon based on Tascam’s wonderful tech support.

So I call back Tascam today and describe what now is clearly a software issue on the Model 12. They have me update and reset again. Still does the same thing. I even video the drop out happing just trying to play a .wav file off my desktop. The tech tells me that all the can do is cover any part replacements for my nearest Tascam certified repair shop to do the work. Problem is, I describe my issue to every repair shop in my state and they say that they don't do software repairs. So... I call back Tascam and the tech, Brian, says there’s really nothing he can do. Nothing. He. Can. Do.

Im supposed to find some repair shop in the world to fix a software issue on my own. Covering shipping, shipping insurance, hourly repair costs, return shipping, and Brian tells me he can cover any replacement parts on a problem that is completely unknown and documented to be a happening since unboxing at day one?!

Someone please tell me there is a super easy solution that Brian has overlooked.

Yes I am using the factory usb cable.
I have a late 2009 iMac running High Sierra.
I have 16 gb of memory and 400 gb of empty storage on the hard drive. Every single application I use including Reaper runs great with the apple sound card. I even had to mix this last project with the stock sound card and wasnt able to use the Model 12 as planned.

So far, a major disappointment in this product

I can upload the video of this problem happening in real time but for some reason it says I do not have the permission to do so.

What do you have your buffer settings at in Reaper? When in your DAW are you running the the Model 12 ASIO driver?

If you have access to another computer, I'd recommend trying out the Model 12 with that one.
My reasoning is that the probability of a problem with a computer is far greater than a problem with the mixer. This way you'd get some confirmation where the problem originates.

Morgelec, this is confirmed no longer an issue with Reaper although I have gone through and double checked all buffer sizes. Also, I’m using a i Mac.

Logrinn, I will run tests tomorrow on another computer. But what would you suspect that could be wrong with my computer? I only ask because I would really like to keep this one running as it has been great previously with my Tascam US-1800 audio interface. I upgraded to the Model 12 but it still has yet to prove to be an upgrade with only this hiccup.

most likely you have not properly configured your input and output devices on your mac and or in Reaper. Or your mac is not configured correctly. For Windows there is a 20 page document on all the tweaks and things to switch off, I doubt the mac needs this many tweaks but there will be some.

Bazzbass, Ive ruled out Reaper as the culprit but have not done any audio configuring in the osx. Do you have any idea where to begin?

Any solution? Having the same issue in Win 10, drop outs were once a week are now several times a day. Faulty USB hardware on the Model 12?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.