Audio input splitting?

thewizardofrob

Gear owned
Tascam DR-05X
Hello all, new here and new to Tascam products (DR-05X). My question is;
Can I split the audio input to a right channel and left channel so I can mic two separate things? My goal is to record the exhaust and intake sounds of my car/motorcycle. I’d like to be able to adjust the volumes of either simply by fading left or right. Is there some type of adapter/splitter that is available?
Thanks in advance

Use 2 mics, a small mixer and an audio cable with a 3.5mm plug to the Mic input.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Is there no simple cable splitter that can separate the left and right when I use two mic’s? If not, when you say to use a “small mixer”, do you have an example or a link I can see what you are talking about or where to get one?
Thanks.

You haven't stated what type of microphones you are going to use. Do they require phantom power? What is their output connector type? Are they balanced or unbalanced outputs?

The input to that recorder is unbalanced. What you want is some kind of a Y-cable. Whatever the mic connector, to a 3.5mm stereo plug.

As for a mixer, that depends upon the application. Most likely something battery powered. There are a number of battery powered small field mixers but I haven't used any of them.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Can I split the audio input to a right channel and left channel so I can mic two separate things...I’d like to be able to adjust the volumes of either simply by fading left or right.

I agree with mj.

A mixer can do the following:
Mono input channel #1 ---> pan control knob --->fader --->
...........................................................................................................stereo output jack(s)----> DR-05X
Mono input channel #2 ---> pan control knob --->fader --->

Pan control enables 180 degree placement of each signal. Fader adjusts signal loudness.

The connecting cable depends on whether the mixer has L/R output jacks or a single stereo output jack.

If you already have microphones, that determines the mixer type.
If you don't already have mics, then first select a mixer and then buy mics that match.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
I have one lapel mic that has tiny batteries in it (phantom power?) I was looking at two different wireless ones but wired would work just fine. This all has to be mobile as mics would be mounted on my motorcycle and the other equipment on myself.
Maybe I should back up just a bit here…The DR-05x records in stereo correct? When the audio file is loaded into my editor (CapCut), can I fade the audio signal into its left and right signals respectively. This way I can adjust the audio in post production. This mixer that you are talking about would need to have the audio signals set prior to recording?
Maybe this is a silly question, but if I had a Y-splitter, could I not cover the left signal of one mic and cover the right signal of the other mic so that the DR-05x records one mic as only left and one as right? (See photo)

IMG_1313.png

mics would be mounted on my motorcycle...when the audio file is loaded into my editor (CapCut), can I fade the audio signal into its left and right signals respectively. This way I can adjust the audio in post production

Now you've changed the scenario.

I'm not familiar with your editing software, so can't help there.

As you're now talking about wanting to manipulate sound recorded previously on two separate tracks,

1. It looks like your DR-05X mic/line input jack is TRS (the standard stereo configuration), and meant to receive as input a standard L/R.. T(ip)/R(ing).. signal with a common ground S(leeve).

2. Your intent is to take two T(ip)S(leeve) mono mic signals and route them into one 3.5mm stereo (TRS) plug, and preserve the original mono signals so each one is recorded separately into the respective L/R tracks of the DR-05X using the 3.5mm TRS input jack. That suggests that using a cable that has two TS female jacks and one 3.5mm TRS male plug having a shared L/R common ground may be a workable solution.

BTW, your mic is an electret condenser, not phantom powered.

Also, if you're intending to record while riding, how are you going to account for the substantial wind noise that will be blowing across the mics as you cruise down the road?

Last edited:
Maybe this is a silly question, but if I had a Y-splitter, could I not cover the left signal of one mic and cover the right signal of the other mic so that the DR-05x records one mic as only left and one as right? (See photo)

View attachment 2460
This illustration is for an earbuds extension cable. The Left/Right channels on the drawing are the signals going to the earbuds from a device with a mono microphone input on a 3.5mm jack (a mobile phone), and the microphone signal from the earbuds to the device is mono. This illustration has nothing to do with what you want to accomplish. That is a 4 terminal connection, not a 3 terminal connection.

@Mark Richards said: Also, if you're intending to record while riding, how are you going to account for the substantial wind noise that will be blowing across the mics as you cruise down the road?
Lav mics usually come with a small foam windscreen. I'm more concerned with having a wired microphone near wheels spinning at high speed. A potential garrote.

The DR-05x records in stereo correct? When the audio file is loaded into my editor (CapCut), can I fade the audio signal into its left and right signals respectively. This way I can adjust the audio in post production.
Correct. You are recording on the internal mics and they are internally wired properly as Left/Right. If you send an improperly assigned external signal to the recorder, it will faithfully record it improperly.
This mixer that you are talking about would need to have the audio signals set prior to recording?
Well, yes of course. I know you want a plug-and-play solution for as cheap as possible but you want to get 2 mics into the stereo recorder properly assigned to Left/Right. A mixer also allows you to adjust the levels with the mixer instead of having to move the mics to adjust levels.

Mark gave you the information you need, but perhaps you don't understand that he means:

@Mark Richards said: 1. It looks like your DR-05X mic/line input jack is TRS (the standard stereo configuration), and meant to receive as input a standard L (Tip) / R (Ring) signal with a common ground (Sleeve).
That means you need to get the hot signal from the Left mic (assume an unbalanced wired lav mic) to the tip of the 3.5mm plug going into the recorder. The Right mic hot signal would go to the ring of the 3.5 mm plug going into the recorder; both grounds would be connected to the sleeve of the 3.5mm plug going into the recorder. That's why Mark suggested a Y-cable with 2 female jacks.

Before I go further, it appears that most people confuse jacks and plugs and use the terms interchangeably. Jacks are female, plugs are male. This matters because the link I am posting below refers to the plug as a jack (my eyes rolled so far back in my head that they are now stuck).

What you want is essentially this:

Make sure that what you buy looks like the above and does not have 4 terminals.

@thewizardofrob, please don't kill yourself doing this. Getting motorcycle sounds in real time at speed on the vehicle itself takes motion picture level skills. If one of your lav mics comes loose and flies into a moving part on the bike, it will jerk that cable faster than your ability to react to it. The recorder could end up in the spokes or chain. Mic mounting on a moving vehicle is one area where you do not want to cheap out.

New threads

Members online