GaryJackson

From
New Zealand
Website
www.qualifiedsound.co.nz
Gear owned
Tascam DM4800 + Firewire card
Hi guys,

I have Logix X working with my DM4800 w/firewire card on a mac running Lion. I would like to get the automation buttons working on the console. At the moment I have the transport buttons, bank and track shuffle buttons working but the other buttons such as automation write, nudge, undo's etc don't work.

How do I get logic to learn these buttons? I tried the learn function but it doesn't see the the buttons upon pressing them etc.

Any ideas if this can be done?

Thanks

Doesn't anyone know how to get these buttons working with logic on the DM4800.

I was hoping logic could learn the buttons but it does not seem to register.

Does anyone have them working?

I'm not a Logic user, so I'm not much help there. But, I'm curious: are you referring to the DM's automation feature or Logic's automation? If you're mixing OTB and using the DM automation, there's no need - or way - for Logic to 'learn' those commands; it's simply a matter of having DAW/DM both synced to MTCode.

However, many of the DAW's internal commands can be accessed on the DM's function key bank. Even still, I've discovered that with some DAWs (Cubase/Protools) - these functions do not communicate unless another key (CTRL/ALT) is simultaneously applied. You might give that a shot to see if it works.

CaptDan

Hi,

I am using the remote layer on the tascam and using logic automation. I have most of the transport controls working, the faders, pan knobs etc... but there is a section above the transport buttons on the DM4800 that have other buttons and only some of these work. Like the bank buttons work but the none of the others, such as nudge, write and read etc.

If I could somehow map those to a function in logic then I could for example hit write on the DM on a selected track and it would start the write automation on logic.

Im not sure if this is possible and if logic can learn the DM buttons. It seems to know some of them but not all?

Cheers

Quite possible this is where the 'User Defined Layer' comes in handy. I've yet to apply mine, so I'm not much help there either. Ernie/Jamsire published a Youtube video of the UDL being utilized with Cubase. Might be worth looking at to maybe get you started in the right direction.

After all, we're talking MIDI control functions; just a matter of wiring them all up.

CaptDan

And........................HERE I AM!! UDL - it's way to do - in the first two layers. But in the Remote Layer - it should just work. I'm pretty sure you have to do some adjustments in the automation screen of the DM. Send me a PM with your number (in the US hopefully) and I will help you through it.

Hi Jamsire,

Unfortunately Im in New Zealand.... so the time zone thing would be a problem for a call. I can take a few pics tomorrow when I am in the studio and post them up if that helps. Just let me know of what screens and I can do that. I assume the remote screens on the DM?

I thought it should all just work as well, and some of them do but some of them don't etc. The only buttons that work in that section is "bank" and "shuffle" and thats it.

Should they all work anyway?

Those buttons are for controlling the automation in the DM. As such, there's no "it oughta just work" status: they aren't control surface-type buttons. Yeah, it does simply work, if you're using the buttons to control the DM's own automation functions.

As Capt and Jamsire have said, you may be able to teach your specific DAW to respond to those buttons, if they even send any MIDI messages out of the DM at all.

Once again - I need to do another video. Phooey. Ok. I need some time. I will return!

I'm using the DM3200 with Logic 9 since September.
Using Logic's automation. The automation buttons on your desk are for Tascams automation.

I don't see the point to be honest, click with your mouse on "latch" or "write" on that channel and automate. Most of my automation is drawn at Logic's automation screen. It works perfectly. For some channels I do use the faders of the DM to automate. But first click "latch" on your channel in Logic.

rbrezins said:
I'm using the DM3200 with Logic 9 since September.
Using Logic's automation. The automation buttons on your desk are for Tascams automation.

I don't see the point to be honest, click with your mouse on "latch" or "write" on that channel and automate. Most of my automation is drawn at Logic's automation screen. It works perfectly. For some channels I do use the faders of the DM to automate. But first click "latch" on your channel in Logic.

My thoughts exactly. Why bother, except some kind of coolness factor? I usually prefer automating in the DM, but even if I mixed ITB I don't think skipping from mouse to console buttons would much.

Yeah thats true, its more of a coolness / faster work flow issue for me. I guess some people like working the desk more and some software. For me I kind of like both. Its not essential that the buttons work however I am one of those people (to my detriment) that if something isn't working I usually spend ridiculous hours to try and fix it even if I don't really need it..haha

Anyway I was wondering what buttons other people have actually got working in the machine control section on the DM in Logic. I have four but wonder if others have more working?

New threads

Members online