Band dad....

cb1

Gear owned
DP 03
Hey all,

I'm the dad of a 16 year old who has a band. We recently bought a Tascam DP-03 Digital Porta Studio and he is learning all the in's and out's of garage band recording. It's been fun to watch.

He runs the instruments through a Peavey xr1212 PA mixer into the 2 tracks of the Tascam. Got to give the kid kudos for his ingenuity.

While I am sure there are some very nice studios out there - he makes do with carefully placed blankets clamped to speaker stands in his basement band room. Tonight they were hiding a guitar amp and mic combo behind one as they figure out how far from cone-center the mic had to be to get the best sound.
Glad to be here.

You can prompt him to try experimenting with the mic anywhere from dead center of the cone to about an inch from the edge, but also to try changing the angle of the mic to speaker . I get Great results with a senheiser 609 about two inches left of center and at a 25 to 30 degree angle. Depends on the amp and sound desired though, experimenting is key. Another cool thing to do for open back combo amps is to mic the back of the amp as well and blend the two sounds in his mixer.

The other thing I can recommend I'd to have him start using reaper, it's a low cost DAW (digital audio workstation for computer recording). It will be great when he wants to move to the next level of home recording.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.