Bounce to Record Effect

...I don’t understand the relationship between the Send Eff2 being turned on for Track 5, and the affect it has on Tracks 6 & 7...I still don’t understand the role of Track 5’s path through the Send Eff?
JP, the whole idea for doing what you are doing is either
  1. To have the Track 5 dry signal recorded completely wet onto Tracks 6 & 7, to be used during mixdown to blend the wet Track 6 & 7 signal with the dry Track 5 signal, giving you complete control over the mix blend; or
  2. To have the Track 5 dry signal blended and locked in (wet/dry) on Tracks 6 & 7 to use during mixdown, and not use the Track 5 dry signal during mixdown (which limits your flexibility during mixdown); or
  3. To use the blended, locked in wet/dry signal on Tracks 6 & 7 and the dry signal on Track 5 during the mixdown process.
If your goal is number 2:
Then to record the outboard FX wet/dry return signal on Track 6 & 7, the Track 5 Send2 should be set to "Pre"; and the Track 5 Fader should be lowered to "inf" (full off) to remove the Track 5 signal from the Stereo Bus. This allows you to monitor only the Tracks 6 & 7 blended wet/dry signal on the Stereo Bus.

Otherwise:
You need to monitor the Track 5 dry signal on the Stereo Bus and the Tracks 6 &7 signal on the Stereo Bus to hear and judge how it will fit together before you get to the mixdown phase.

...once the signals for Tracks 5, 6 & 7 hit the junction that goes south (south being down on the diagram) they all pass through Send Eff2.
You must set the Track 6 and 7 Send2 to OFF. If you don't, you will get a very nasty electronic feedback loop, and you will not be a happy camper afterward.

Last edited:
I have to emphasize this. I own the smaller DP-008EX but still with that device, when I try things first, in the end it was following the block diagram which got me enlightend. All the written and video explanations didn't match 100 % my special case.
With all the acquired knowledge you should be able now to figure it out just by the diagram how the flow sequence has to go to fulfill your requirements.

^^^^^ This.

The block diagram is not perfect. There are a couple of minor things that are not entirely clear when tracing signal flow. Phil points these out in his videos. But, overall, it's incredibly accurate and entirely useful for understanding the exact signal flow through the machine. It's akin to water flowing through a pipe. Since my recording days/weeks/months come and go due to a busy life - I often have to go back and get a refresher on signal flow. I keep a copy of the block diagram taped to my desk right next to my recorder and refer to it often.

I want to thank everyone again for all the help, I think that I have just about got this figured out, with Phil’s help. I finally understand why it was necessary to run Track 5 through Send Eff2. It is all starting to make sense now. If I can figure out how to load the Block Diagram that I have developed I will post it here. Suffice it to say Felonious’s method works and I now understand why.. Thanks again for everybody’s help..

Some one asked me to post a song... Well I posted two songs they can be found over in the area called: Song Mixes: Tracks for Review and Critique... "Two New Covers By JP"

New threads

Members online