Can i assign inputs to different channels?

T. Bailey

From
Southern California
Gear owned
Teac 80-8, Tascam DP-03SD
OK, I'm an old studio guitarist from the 70's-90's who worked
extensively in Southern California for 20 years. I've also owned
several personal studios over the years, but I officially retired in 2005.

In 2021 after rehabbing from a stroke, I started playing again, and
decided to build a little office studio, for making demos, and cutting
tracks for family and friends. I picked up a Tascam Model 12 recently,
and I am starting a couple of backing track projects.

In the old days, I would use a couple of channels (say 1&2) as master inputs,
and simply bus them (route their signals) to be recorded over on other
channels (say 3&4) for example. My brother has a couple of Tascam DP24SDs
and he says they have a digital menu which allows you to easily move any input
to any channel you desire.

I have been searching the internet for days, and have no good answers so far.
Other than recording on one channel, and then "swapping" it to another channel.
Is there a better way to record a live signal from a particular channel. and print it on
another channel in real time, using the Tascam Model 12 as a stand-alone multitrack?

I would appreciate your guys input, and would like to finally figure out my options
related to this part of the Model 12's digital recording process.

Welcome to the forums.
I don't own one of these front-of-house mixers, but if you look in the shaded area at the top of the first page for the Model 24/16/12 forum, you'll find lots of useful information to help as you learn the ins and outs of the Model 12. :)
Is there a way to record a live signal from a particular channel. and print it on
another channel in real time, using the Tascam Model 12 as a stand-alone multitrack?
To your specific question, internal to the mixer, no. Channels are hard-wired to tracks, unlike the DP-24/32/SD portastudios (discussed in the "Basic Facts" thread).

Last edited:
Reactions: Max Relic
Thanks for confirming. Now, I just need to figure out if "swapping" is my only alternative option.

Hi @T. Bailey and welcome to the Tascam Forums. The Digital Portastudios more closely match your studio recording experience. The Model series are FOH house mixers with a few extras like SD recording and USB I/O.

Reactions: dctdct
I kind of knew what I was getting into with the Model12. But, I liked the "old school" style layout with knobs on the channels, and a more traditional layout, over one of their Portastudio styled models. Plus, the midi function will come in handy down the road. I also like the much smaller footprint.

I hadn't been in a pro studio in almost 20 years, so I didn't realize they've pretty much eliminated consoles completely! Everything is computer based now, so today's desks
are primarily made up of multiple monitors, a keyboard, some type of mouse, an audio interface/controller, a small rack of vintage gear and a small patch bay.

Reactions: -mjk-
You described home/project studios. The larger/professional studios still use consoles. But we are all using DAWs mostly with tape machines being used for certain tasks to add color. Personally, I refuse to mix with a mouse and to this day, I have never mixed a record in a DAW. I run my DAW tracks at unity and mix with a console. The console has an automation system so I don't even use DAW automation. There are quite a number of studio owners on the forum that use consoles.

I was referring to my visit to Atlantic Studios West in Hollywood last summer, where they didn't seem to have any traditional consoles left? Sure, they had a ton of beautiful vintage outboard gear, and a wonderful selection of vintage and the latest microphones and incredible rooms, but everything was running through a Mac on a desk, at least that's what I remember.

Amazing looking console, by the way (on your website) :)

Last edited:
You reminded me that I need to update the graphics on that site, lol. I have 2 consoles actually: Behringer X32 (with AutoMate automation) and a Soundcraft Ghost inline recording console. They do take up a lot of space though.

Reactions: T. Bailey
Btw, @T. Bailey if you get something recorded on your Model 12 and are not satisfied with the mixing capability, there are a number of Forum members who can help you out with mixing. So, go ahead and lay tracks and don't worry about the downline process too much.

Fortunately, that's not a problem for me. I'm just a simple guitarist, not an engineer... :) I'm recording guitars and keyboards to a guide track. I only have to get a basic EQ on my instruments, then send out my .wav files. Others, much more qualified than I, will deal with them at that point.

Is there a better way to record a live signal from a particular channel. and print it on
A simple DIY method: assuming you use inputs 1-2 for instrument, use a TS cable to route the signal from insert jacks (half-plug) to the channel input you wish to record. Insert jacks on channel 1-2 work as send-receive effect loop, when half-plugged the signal at input can be sent to external processing without interrupting the channel. IMO TRACK SWAP is even simpler than that.

Reactions: T. Bailey and -mjk-
Thanks for your input. Yes indeed I could "micky-route" the signal with cables but the way I have the unit mounted on my desk and where it's located, would be really inconvenient. The TRACK SWAP option seems like a much simpler/faster and easier way to go, if I can just figure out how to do it? Your suggestion on how that's done the right way, would be appreciated. :)

@T. Bailey a patchbay on your desk and a bunch of cables would give you all the cross-connecting power you need.
Multitrack recording can be done in various ways, depending on your workflow/preferences.
Assuming you are monitoring on active speakers connected to SUB out:

1 - be sure SUB is not assigned to Main Mix, this will be your monitoring bus and we don't wish to record it;

2 - assign all channels to SUB only, not to MAIN Mix (all channels/tracks will be monitored);

3 - set inputs 1 & 2 (trim, compressor, eq., level), assign to both SUB and Main Mix (will be monitored and recorded to Main Mix);

4 - record your first take, stop when done;

5 - go to Menu > MTR > TRACK EDIT > TRACK SWAP, select A = 11/12 and B = 9/10 (this will put the last Main Mix stereo recording on tracks 9/10) and confirm;

6 - to play along to the record tracks switch them to "MTR";

7 - start recording the second take, stop when done;

8 - repeat step 5, this time B = 7/8 (at this point you have the first take on tracks 9/10 and the second one on tracks 7/8);

9 - record the third take, stop when done;

10 - repeat step 5, this time B = 5/6;

11 - repeat record/swap steps to put subsequent takes on track 3/4 and 1/2;

At this point it's your choice to use tracks 11/12 for a last take or to mix tracks 1 to 10.

12 - to mix the record takes switch all channels Mode to MTR and assign to Main Mix, be sure not to arm any track;

13 - press record and mix your tracks, when done go to Menu > STEREO TRACK EXPORT to save the Main Mix (aka tracks 11/12) to a stereo Wav file in MUSIC folder.

The same result could be achieved by recording takes on channels 1/2 (supposedly a stereo program) and using TRACK SWAP to move each new take to tracks 9/10, 7/8, 5/6, 3/4.

Hope it helps

Thanks for the valuable instructions. I will have time to go over them in detail this afternoon.
Unfortunately, my "studio" is very limited in space, and a patchbay is out of the question for now. It's just part of my desk. I'd upload a picture but this forum won't allow me to do so. :(

You’ll have to host your photo somewhere else like Google Photos, or Dropbox, etc., and post a link to it here. There is a forum for studio photos.

I 've figured out a way how to avoid a patch bay. Either get an XLR balanced switch box with 1 in 3 out, and connect to the first 3 channels, or get a 1 in 2 out balanced XLR cable and connect to the first 2 channels, or (the most obvious) just rearrange by desk, so I have room to reach back and move the XLR cable over to whatever channel I need to record with. Of course I could always swap them around later too.

This patchbay doesn't take much space:
https://www.artproaudio.com/product/tpatch-eight-point-balanced-patch-bay/
patchbays-tpatch-angle.jpg

Reactions: Stew71 and -mjk-
That patch bay is very small and VERY COOL! At this point if I were a more commercial operation, or I was cutting all kinds of tracks, with different types of instruments and people, it would be perfect! However, I'm retired and by myself. What I do is very "small potatoes" so to speak. Mainly I'm cutting lead guitar parts (and double tracking harmonies). So, I'm not really mixing anything, and I'm usually cutting things in mono on 1 & 2, to be sent out and mixed by smarter guys than I am... loll That said, I usually keep 2 tracks dedicated to my Helix, 2 tracks dedicated to my Marshall (via Capture X), 1 track for direct Bass (on occasion), and 1 track for Acoustic (on occasion), recorded while following the master guide tracks on 9/10.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.