Can i assign inputs to different channels?

After further investigation, I'm seriously considering that patchbay! In my mind, I'd just want to use it by connecting the first 4 outputs on the back panel to the first 4 channels on my Model 12. Then simply plug my input signal into the front panel "channel" I want to record on. Is this considered "normal" or "half normal operation"? (I haven't been hands-on with a Patch Bay in 30+ years and mine were always soldered on the back-side) loll... Anyway, I'm going to reconsider this week's budget for "stuff" (5 new cables and the Patch Bay will run me about $150 USD). I'm pretty sure it's in my near future (as I already found a convenient easy-access spot to mount it). Thanks again Max Relic and MJK for your valuable input. :)

Happy to know you came to a practical solution. Your use case is "thru" mode, basically an extension of the Model 12 input jacks. Turn the Art patchbay back-to-front and you have an eight channel extension panel (summing top and bottom row jacks) ;)

@T. Bailey each "cell" (a group of 2 front + 2 rear jacks laying in the same vertical line) in the patchbay can work either as normalled or half-normalled depending on how the switch is set; reversing the cell front-to-back breaks the normalization scheme and sets the cell in Through mode, where there is no more connection between the up and bottom jacks but only front to back.
Hope it is clear, just let me know

So, by reversing the patchbay, Will I have 8 channels available in through mode?
Or, will I have 4 available, and I'll need to use either the top row, or the bottom row?

So, by reversing the patchbay, Will I have 8 channels available in through mode?
Exactly. Some patchbay let the user customize the working mode of each cell simply by changing its orientation. See the picture above

Correct, plug in front and the signal goes straight to the opposite jack. To be clear: rear jacks must be plugged in order to work in Through mode.

You got it. Perhaps after all that turning the patchbay over it should be convenient to call "switch side" the panel toward you and where the instruments are plugged (when needed), and "Tascam side" the panel to which you connect the Model 12 input cables (permanently connected).

Reactions: T. Bailey and -mjk-
Actually it's fine, as long as it's just me and 1 person setting on the couch. But, it means I have a pretty small area to maneuver my wheelchair around in. Even though I have many years of experience, it's still pretty tight when grabbing a guitar off the rack or the wall, spinning around to adjust an amp or modeler, then rolling back to the desk to punch in/out on a track. ;)

BTW I was wrong about the room size (I just remeasured with my laser!).
It's considerably bigger, almost 10' x 12'!

Last edited:
Reactions: Max Relic and -mjk-
The best thing is having a comfortable creative space that suits your needs, where instruments and equipment are disposed in a rational way and easily reachable. Yes plenty of room is a blessing but I am more experienced in small spaces. As a matter of fact good part of my synthesizers/machines sleep in fligthcases most of the time :)
Have a nice day

Reactions: -mjk-
Correct! In my 10'x12' office I'm setting in my modded wheelchair, at my corner double desks against the far corner of the room. On those 2 desks are 4 monitors, a 10" tablet, 2 computer towers, the Tascam 12 (and soon, the Art patchbay alongside) next to a landline phone. To my left is a rack with 4 electric guitars and a bass, just beyond are my Acoustic and Hybrid Classical hanging on the wall over a couch. To my right is my PodGo on a shelf, just above a small Fender practice amp neatly tucked into the chair space of the right corner desk. To the right of my desk is an Office Printer on a stand. To the right of the printer (and directly behind me) is my Marshall, connected thru a Capture X to my Tascam 12. To the right of that is my microwave setting on my mini-fridge. Most everything is within easy reach, but giving me just enough room to maneuver around in my wheelchair which is a refined skill, fine-tuned over almost a decade. :)
Personal reminder, avoid having a stroke it really sucks... :(

Last edited:
@T. Bailey congrats for the upgrade! I would love to see your pic but unfortunately haven't a FB account, please use a free hosting service like Postimages and GooglePhotos and post the link here :)

Reactions: T. Bailey
I couldn't see the FB photo either.

When I click on the link I get an Error 404 (no such file/page). Links are formally correct, I compared them with links to my Google Photos.

My 2024 "old retired guy" home studio

My-Marshall.jpg
Studio-Picture-2.jpg

My current "studio" Marshall is a modded DSL20CR (built in NAM) running 5751's through a Neo Creamback feeding my Capture X, with the stereo XLR outs plugged into my Model 12.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk- and Max Relic
Here's a few low-res pics around the time I was at G&L in 1981.
(Wow, that guy looks a lot like Leo Fender!)

In the final picture, Leo gifted me that Ash G&L F-100 for my 25th birthday. That very same afternoon Forrest White gifted me that MMan RP65 Combo! I'm now the same age Leo was, back in 1981... loll...

My custom Pedalboard was built by studio pal Jay Sessum. Tommy Tedesco ordered and used that same model pedalboard. I know, because Jay & I actually hand-delivered Tommy's pedalboard to him, at GIT! (He was a very funny guy!)

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.