Can i use a guitar pedal to record effects on dp 32?

I'm not sure how best to explain this.

You are not likely to get a good sound from simply plugging your guitar into pedal effects units (like a tube screamer) and then running that straight into the DP. It's almost certain to sound like sh*t. And likely - noisy. This is why amp/cabinet simulators exist - to solve this problem.

I haven't tried it - but you could try your pedals into a DI box - then into the DP. But if you've come this far with acquiring a very capable multitrack recorder such as the DP - I recommend you either mic your amp(s) - or acquire something to act as an amp/cab simulator. I've got a really nice one in the Strymon Iridium.... and a less expensive but also very capable one in the Digitech RP360 (Mark Richards on here also has one).

Again - you could start with an inexpensive DI box - there are a bunch out there - Behringer sells one.

Or step up from there and get an effects processor that has amp/cab sims built in.

Years ago I played with what the DP has built in for amp/cab sims and I couldn't find anything that got me a quality tone that I found acceptable. But I guess you could try that in the short term: Run your guitar straight into the DP using input H set for guitar, find a "clean" amp/cab sim in the DP's guitar effects, then run that out the send-----> to your pedal board-----> and back into an input? I haven't tried this - but it seems to me that it might be worth a try.

Please let us know what the results are if you try that.

Good luck!

Reactions: Mark Richards
Thank you ! I was not sure of the very fundamental question if this is even a normal operation option. I understand now that this is not normal, so I will move on !

I will try the internal effects and have some fun, and then mic the amp, and even the external options you mention are something to consider too. But, I think mic'ing the amp is the simple fix. ...But, I did that last night and although I certainly captured the sound, I do see there is a lot of skill and technique to learn to get that clarity I seek. Anyway, thank you. I was just assuming the pedalboard direct was a simple easy thing, and now I know it's not that simple. Thanks everyone.

Reactions: David Porter
But, I think mic'ing the amp is the simple fix. ...But, I did that last night and although I certainly captured the sound, I do see there is a lot of skill and technique to learn to get that clarity I seek.
@2807, the key is microphone position! Give yourself a half hour at least if you have no experience miking amps (more than that if you do have live venue experience, cause that is useless for recording). You'll see that the more you do this, the less time it takes to get the sound you want. If you get it right, there will be no need for EQ in the recording stage (for mixing, you never know).

Yes, I am learning this mic placement info now. Also, I think cranking the volume on the amp a bit more than I may normally want will help? Agree? I am trying to get the presence and clarity as high as possible, not just capture sound. I am sure you folks understand. I assume this is part of the entire concept for all of this. I do enjoy it. I just am rusty, and in the past, I used internal effects on a different unit (Roland VS1680, 25 yrs ago).. and did not care. Now, I like the amps, and pedals, and hope to learn... Thank you.

Well, if the amp sounds best to you at a higher volume, then that's what you need also for recording. But each amp has its best sound for you at some point. The bottom line is: 1. does it sound like I want in the room - then 2. I want to capture that sound by setting the mic up in the right spot.

Using a pedal board is no different than any other piece of line-level equipment. I use a drum machine for drum parts and also for guitars and bass. I've also used a keyboard and an outboard digital effects processor. So, yes, hundreds of people have successfully used outboard equipment with the DP machines. The line level inputs are there specifically for that purpose.

But in no way did it sound like my typical sound coming from my amp

And there probably is no way for it to do so, since the amp, speakers and room all contribute to the sound you're hearing.

In that case, get the sound you want to hear using your amp and speaker cab, then move your head around in front of the speaker cabinet and find the sweet sounding spot. Put your mic right there.

get a Joyo American Sound , less than 40 quid
JOYO JF-14 American Sound Guitar Effect Pedal (joyoaudio.co.uk)
great amp sim and tube emulation. My two guitarers use it to go straight into my Tascam. Absolutely the best value on the market. Just get one, I guarantee you will like it.

another thing you must learn is gain staging. With a pedalboard, you want the same volume with the pedal turned on or off. Do this for each pedal until you get to the last one where you can apply more gain if needed.

Reactions: -mjk-
Thank you for all the advice. I’ll keep working with it. I am really enjoying it. I’m trying to read Mr. Tipping’s book and watch the videos, and use this site, before I bombard everyone with my rookie moves. I’ll look into that pedal too. Thanks!

New threads

Members online