Can someone explain the select button?

Steve-o

From
Ohio
Gear owned
488, 2488, dp24
I finally purchased a dp24 after all these years. I am surprised it is quite different then my old 2488, which I sold, so I can not sit them side by side now. I will say the 2488 was a much more solid machine. This unit works a little different. I had to always use the select button, but here we have an assign button.....so what is the function of the select button on here. I just got in , layed down 5 tracks in under a 1/2 hr just for practice. It works.

It has been years since I used my old 2488, it really was MINT when I sold it.

I was surprised that I remembered anything here, but I did. So I will keep working with it, or at least I hope I will. Or, it will sit like the last one. let's hope not.
Thank you

Reactions: -mjk-
Hi Steve-o. So you finally pulled the plug. After your post last year, it sounded like you may have just thrown in the towel.

Basically, the "Select" buttons are used to identify the individual Tracks for further processing.

The "Assign" screen uses the "Source" buttons to direct Inputs to Tracks; and also uses the "Source" buttons in combination with the "Stereo Select" button to send Inputs directly to the Stereo Bus.

You can find complete (long) descriptions of the "Select", "Source", and "Stereo Select" buttons in the OM's "Section 3-Names and Functions".

Since you've been away from the portastudios for a while, you may want to scan through the pinned sticky threads at the top of the forum. Indexes to the posts are in first post of each thread. There's a wealth of information there you may find useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
As Mark said. My 2 cents is: the select buttons (and their corresponding green lights) behave in different ways depending on what mode the machine is in. The machine remembers the button & light states in each mode, so you'll see the green lights change when you change modes. It is not necessary to select track(s) in order to record them.
Mark mentioned their use when the Assign screen is displayed, but here are some other examples (there may be others):
  • Home or Mixer screen: the select and source buttons/lights control/indicate which item (track or input) will be affected when you twiddle the eq, pan and send control knobs.
  • Guitar Effect screen: the select buttons/lights control/indicate which track has the effect block inserted in its path.
  • Bounce mode: the select and source buttons/lights show which items (tracks or inputs) are to be mixed during the bounce.

I will add to Phil's list of select button usage.

• When using TRACK EDIT functions, you can use the select buttons (instead of the wheel) to choose the SOURCE and TARGET for the operation.
In this instance I prefer the select buttons over the wheel because it gives me more confidence that I've selected the right track. With the wheel it's possible to sometimes over or under scroll and not realize it. Especially with old eyes like mine.

In this instance I prefer the select buttons over the wheel because it gives me more confidence that I've selected the right track. With the wheel it's possible to sometimes over or under scroll and not realize it. Especially with old eyes like mine.

Totally agree. I do the same thing.

Reactions: Mark Richards

New threads

Members online