cmaffia

Staff member
From
Queens, New York
Website
cmaffia.wix.com
Gear owned
2 x DM3200, DA-3000
I thought I'd make this topic a sticky. Since purchasing a used 2nd DM in 2018 has become very affordable, many are now diving into the world of cascading which unfortunately Tascam has not documented AT ALL! Most of the info I've provided is for Windows/Dm3200 but some information also applies to Mac as well as the DM4800. Please contribute to this section by adding any additional information including tips and workflow implementation. Oh...and before anyone asks, No you can't cascade a DM3200 to a DM4800 :).

Cascading Rule #1:
If you're looking to use both DM's using the Remote Layer with your DAW:
1. You'll need connect both DM's USB ports to your computer.
2. You'll need to rename one of the Tascam USB devices in both Windows and MAC OS (I renamed one DM3200II). Windows names them the same which is the problem so you'll need to differentiate them or else your DAW won't be able to map the 4 Mackie Controls (6 for DM4800) successfully. Follow this procedure for taking ownership of the registry entry to rename in Windows: http://www.avoiderrors.net/rename-devices-device-manager/

Here's my journey with figuring out that you have to change one of the DM's USB device names. Screenshots of how it looks in Cubase when configuring are included:
http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/dm-4800-cascade-mode.264/page-3

Mixer Firmware:
You need to upgrade both DM's with the latest MIXER FIRMWARE (Firmware V1.72b3 - cascade fix for remote layer). The utility to upgrade your mixer's firmware is within the Tascam TMC application. You can download the firmware here:
https://dev.tascam-parc.com/parc_beta/
Username : iffwdm
Password : firefly

Cascade Cables:
Tascam unfortunately stopped manufacturing the cascade cable years ago so here are a few places that will make it for you.

World Sound Rentals, Inc.
Office: 1.631.751.3583 ext.103 Matt.
Approx $160.00 - 1 week to make and test

Sales New York Pro Sound
http://www.pro-sound.com/
Ask for Phil
$89.00 - 3 days to make

Make Your Own Cable:
http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/cascade-cable-pinouts-files.47/

Cascade information from Tascam's Manual addendum:

• STEREO buss, BUSS 1-16, AUX buss 1-8, and SOLO buss can be shared when the sharing function is set to ON in the CASCADE screen.
• The audio clock is shared by the two units.
• Timecode is shared to synchronize the two units

Settings that can be interlocked:
Layer status
Flip mode
Encoder mode
Surround mode Surround 5.1 rear MONO
DIGITAL>CASCADE screen setup (except for ID setting)
OPTION>SETUP screen setup (except for FADER SENSITIVITY)
OPTION>PREFERENCE screen setup
OPTION>SOLO screen setup (except for INPLACE SOLO DEFEAT setup)
OPTION>ENCODER MODE screen setup
METER/FADER>METER screen setup
SNAPSHOT RECALL SAFE setup on the LIBRARY SNAPSHOT screen
AUTO SETUP screen setup
Key setup in the AUTOMATION section (WRITE, TRIM, ALL SAFE, REHEARSE, INITIAL EDIT)

Operations that can be interlocked:
Snapshot related operations:
Recall
Store
Delete

Automation key operations:
TOUCH key
KEEP key
REVERT key
INITIAL EDIT DISCARD key
AUTO FADE key

Hi. I need all recent update for IFFW and DM4800. I own 2 Dm4800 and I need firmware and driver for cascade them. Can You help me?
I need the latest MIXER FIRMWARE (Firmware V1.72b3 - cascade fix for remote layer).

I use Windows 7 and 10 .
I have Firmware 75562
Driver 1.30f9 176851
Mixer Firmware 1.70
Thanks a lot.

I have recently moved to a twin DM4800 setup with a custom Argosy desk with 6 Metric Halo ULN-8 boxes running into the Dm4800 via AES for a total of 48 channels of input. I use layer one as my inputs and layer two as my playback. Sort of a split console design. For recording I have a Tascam X-48.

All the transport functions work smoothly. My only problem is, I can arm all 48 tracks directly from the X-48, but I can only arm 24 tracks from the Dm-4800. Only the main DM4800 is useable for track arming, not the slave unit. Has anyone run into this? There is no setting that I can find in the DM4800 for arming 48 channels in a cascade configuration. Just 24 tracks from the main console. Any thoughts on how I might get this to work?

Reactions: pdeber
@kengray, got the same problem, 2 DM4800 & 1 X48 arming issue. do you try to edit the mapping as writed on page 108 of the dm4800 manual ?

I have two DM 4800 mixers connected in cascade. I have a lag problem in the slave mixer, more precisely 6 samples lag in the signal. It is very difficult to perform parallel compressions or to divert a copy of a track to the first mixer and also to the second. They tend to cancel out ... not completely but power and treble. I understand that it must be a cascade connection problem. I work with HDX Protools and Avid 192 Digital interfaces connected via Adat. I hope someone can help me, Thank you.

Hi Juan,
Have you been able to solve the issue, and does the 4800’s digital per-channel delay function help at all? Hope so!

New threads

Members online