Computer will not recognize Tascam US-16X08

Max Rottenberk

Gear owned
Tascam US-16X08
I just bought a used Tascam US-16x08 interface. I downloaded the software the goes along with it and it wont recognize the interface when its plugged in through the USB. The download said it included the drivers but it seems like it was the only the 16x08 software. I also downloaded the firmware it told me to download but when I run that it says " The supported device is not connected" So this has me thinking my entire computer just wont recognize the interface at all. Did I just buy a broken interface? It said it was working and in good condition. I'm using windows and use pro tools.
Someone help.

The download said it included the drivers but it seems like it was the only the 16x08 software

If you're not sure the drivers are installed, that's where you need to start troubleshooting.

How do I make sure the drivers are installed? Probably a dumb question, sorry.

Reactions: -mjk-
No, that's not dumb at all! In the Windows device manager there is an option to update the driver. I usually start there, but often go looking for it on the manufacturer's site and I make sure to install the driver directly if it's available.

Finally, don't forget to reboot (I have, a number of times....). Sometimes, rebooting with the device unplugged, and then plugging it in after the machine finishes loading all apps and drivers will allow Windows to configure the new device.

Lastly, you an always use the device manager to delete the device and start over.

This stuff isn't always as easy as it would appear. In my case, I had to disable power management on all of my USB devices because after some idle time, they would stop functioning properly.

Last edited:
All I did just now was unplug the device from usb, then reboot it and let it sit for a minute before plugging it back in, and then it worked! Thank you for your help!

Reactions: -mjk-
Fantastic! Time to make some music!

Having this same issue. Not sure what step to take next. The download said it included the drivers but it seems like it was the only the 16x08 software. I also downloaded the firmware it told me to download but when I run that it says " The supported device is not connected.” Tried rebooting my device plugging it in, unplugging it. I’m not sure how to find the drivers in my system device menu. Can you elaborate on how exactly to make sure I have the drivers in the system devices? Or what other possible steps I could take?

@gcdannemiller
First, check to make sure the "AUTO POWER SAVE" switch on the back of the interface is turned OFF. If it's on, turn it off & shut down the interface for a few minutes & turn the interface back on. Leave the "AUTO POWER SAVE" switch off because it just causes all kinds of problems. If that feature gets activated when your interface is idle for too long, it needs to be power cycled to come back on. It also tends to be glitchy afterwards.

If your US-16x08 Settings Panel works, what Software and Firmware version does it say in the "Interface" tab?
Mine on Win 10 says-
Software Version: 4.00 0064
Firmware Version: 2.00 0022

If your firmware version is already 2.00 xxxx, then that's up to date.

If you do actually need to update it, and the firmware updater doesn't work properly, make sure your interface is turned on and close any programs (including the Tascam Settings Panel, antivirus/security software, and anything unnecessary running in the background) before running the firmware updater.

To check your driver info in the Windows Device Manager:
-Press Win+R to open the run box.
In the field titled "Open", type in the following:
devmgmt.msc

Then click "OK".
The Device Manager should pop up.

-In the Device Manager's top menu bar, select "View > Show hidden devices".

-Expand the "Sound, video and game controllers" section, and look for "US-16x08" & "US-16x08 MIDI".

-To view the driver version or check for updates, double-click "US-16x08" & "US-16x08 MIDI" and select "Update driver" in the "Driver" tab of the "US-16x08 Properties" window.
You might want to do the same for "MIDI IN" & MIDI OUT" in the "Software devices" section.

DV.png

If you have the US-16x08 turned on, but you don't see any entries for it in the "Sound, video and game controllers" section, or the entries are greyed-out, then either your interface isn't turned on, the "AUTO POWER SAVE" feature has kicked in, or there's likely something wrong with your installation.
If that's the case, then again, make sure the "AUTO POWER SAVE" is switched OFF, power off/unplug the interface, uninstall the Tascam software, reboot the PC, and reinstall the Tascam software.

Good luck.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.