Connect unbalanced synths to Tascam 16x08 XLR inputs: bad idea?

I've been lurking in this thread for a while.

It's obvious that the experienced audio engineers posting in this thread are hopelessly clueless.

Of course the effects of impedance and voltage mismatches have no bearing whatsoever on audio quality, noise levels, the health of sensitive electronic circuitry etc.

This is after all a forum for the proper use of professional studio grade MTR systems and gear. Why expect professionals to have educated, informed knowledge about such things.

Ridiculous!
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:o_Oo_O:rolleyes::confused::confused:

Last edited:
@Mark Richards, I have never before been so insulted on an amateur technical forum. The 500 or so studio sessions I've done on 24 tracks during my Boston career certainly does not make me a professional audio engineer (being paid, not withstanding), so please do me the courtesy of not lumping me in that group of "hopelessly clueless" "experienced audio engineers" you alluded to. Furthermore, anyone who owns a single piece of Tascam equipment is qualified to know that no matter how many albums you may have engineered in the analog domain, none of what you know has any relevance whatsoever in the DAW age. Please keep this fact in mind when commenting in the future.

Also, to suggest that issues like impedance matching and proper gain staging should be parameters that the typical home recordist would concern themselves with reveals a staggering level of ignorance on your part regarding home recording. Please limit yourself to commenting on professional studio applications only, since that is clearly your area of expertise, and allow these home recordists to produce the ridiculously distorted audio that has become a signature sound and a defining characteristic of that genre. Besides, you well know that the cleaner the audio is, the less plugins would need to be applied in the mixdown for corrective purposes, so your advice could possibly be damaging the sales of plugins from some manufacturers.

One more outburst of logic and reasoning like that, sir, and I may consider banning you from commenting. This is not the first time that you have butted in and tried to help people avoid making mistakes. You have been warned, sir.

I'm about as amateur as it gets and a terrible musician in general, but I try to remember that some of us don't know the difference between a BALANCED input and a hole in the ground...;)

@Phil Tipping
To be clear, the I•ONIX U42S doesn't have Mic/Inst inputs on the rear panel. They're MIC/LINE inputs, and the INST inputs are on the side, lol.

Again, who the heck writes these manuals?

U42S Connections.png

Reactions: -mjk-
Good grief!

New threads

Members online