Contemplating Keyboard

Slugworth

Veteran
Gear owned
DP-008EX
I've come to a point that I think I need to invest in some keys for broader sounds.
I owned a Fender Rhodes about three decades ago, but didn't spend much time learning to play. I have more time on my hands now and more incentive to learn.

I do have a concern for space and that might rule out an 88-key. Does less keys always mean less octaves? I'd be happy with just a few sounds to chose from and want to avoid any type of programming as much as possible.

The immediate goal will be to incorporate chords and single notes as fills or matching guitar parts. Long term goal is to become proficient and write songs on keyboard.
Is weighted preferred over soft-touch?
Is a stereo jack enough since I record with a Tascam dp008ex?

All replies and opinions appreciated

Last edited:
I will share my opinion only for those questions, where I can really substantially contribute. You didn't mention your music style you are aiming for, because this will impact your selection. The following thoughts come from a prog/rock hammond/synthesizer oriented player.

Space/octaves: I don't know how small your playing corner is, but if you would like to go seriously piano playing, I would opt for an 88 keys board.
A compromise is available with 73 keys. But you could also just go standard 61 keys, if it's not about the standard piano play technique. With keyboard split and octave transpose you will have all required octaves available on a smaller keyboard too.

Fills, pads, solo: Since many years all performance and music workstations offer myriads of solo and pad sounds. Just search the internet for best of... and you will get several overviews covering far more than you might need. Depending on the type and brand of board you will get also a lot of FX and play automation out of the box.

Keybed: Again, your playing and music style is relevant for this decision. Most of the offerings are semi-weighted. I am one of those who really struggle playing hammond sounds or synth solo on a weighted piano keyboard. Vice versa I need some weighted keys to play decently a piano part.

As soon you got some basic information on the topic, go and play around in a music store to sense the haptic feeling of some devices. Are you ok with menu diving or do you want as many HW switches as possible? This might also influence your buying decision.

Recording: I started exactly with the same MTR you mentioned: DP-008EX. Just connect L+R of the keyboard to the 2 inputs of the DP.

Let us know if you got some steps forward to your decisions.

Reactions: Slugworth
Thanks for the thorough reply.
My style is (I guess) somewhat similar to some of Jeff Beck's up-tempo grooves that included vocals, but with about 1/10th of their talent. Currently, my recording gear takes up about 1/3 of one wall in a spare bedroom. It also serves as an office space So a desk, file cabinet and a printer/scanner/book stand takes up the rest of the wall

I really would like to get an 88-key and keep it out until we have company and then slide it under a bed when we do have company or not in use for a while.
"With keyboard split and octave transpose you will have all required octaves available on a smaller keyboard too." One with fewer keys and less space needed would keep my wife happier.
The Korg Liano 88-key https://www.korg.com/us/products/digitalpianos/liano/ is the one I'm most interested at the moment. I'm not really interested in pad sounds and want to keep it very basic to traditional keyboard sounds like the Liano seems to offer.

There's a Guitar Center nearby that I can visit, check out a few different models of various key numbers and ask questions about. I don't think they'll have a Liano in stock because they seem to be on back order for music store sites online.

Recoding room/office pictures links
https://imgbox.com/U7Oa9mgA
https://imgbox.com/BFtoPj9n
https://imgbox.com/SrD76UDy

Reactions: dctdct
I have a KORG Microstation that I got in 2013. It has the M1 engine. The first 8 years that I owned it, I used the audio from the keyboard itself. Over time, and as I acquired more VST instrumentation, this keyboard is now almost exclusively a MIDI controller. Depending upon how deep you get into recording with VST instruments, you may not need a keyboard that produces audio at all. My next keyboard will most likely be a Native Instruments model with adjustable MIDI parameters on the KB itself. Of course, with hardware recording that is not relevant. But I did use the sequencer and MIDI editor in the keyboard quite a bit over the years. Sometimes I would start a recording project with an imported MIDI file so I would have a drum track to work with.

I went to GC yesterday and tried out a few brands and sizes. I got to feel the difference between soft-touch and weighted keys. The weighted felt more natural (piano-like) and I can feel that soft-touch would be good for a beginner or as a preference. They don't offer the Korg Liano, However, I am likely going to purchase a 61-key (semi-weighted) Casio CT-S1. I messaged someone selling a used one for $150 and hour ago. Hopefully he/she will reply later today. It's midi capable too. Due to it's shorter size and light weight I can place it on top of the desk in the recording/office/bedroom and store it in the closet when not in use.

While I was there I also tried out a full-size electronic drum kit with mesh heads, large cymbals and high hat. Rolls on it are much easier and smoother compared to the DD-65 mini-kit pads I have only drummed on to that point. The high hat and cymbals are a big improvement in sound and feel to comparatively. They also had an acoustic kit fully setup, but I didn't have the confidence to try it out.

Also there was a cool looking small(ish) Moog unit. My mind immediately went to Michael Hunter and this session. Speaking of drumming, dude is tight.

New threads

Staff online

Members online