Copying to and from stereo tracks

Mitchell Renner

Had a quick question about copying (or moving) to and from stereo tracks. I record everything in stereo primarily - synths, guitar with stereo fx, hand and aux percussion. Inevitably I would need to record some stereo tracks to the mono tracks, then hard pan them left and right. Was just wondering if I needed to copy/move 2 mono to a stereo track or vice versa a stereo track to 2 mono tracks is that possible? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum @Mitchell Renner,
The Model 12 offer limited editing capability, basically what you can do is:
- export the stereo mix (tracks 11/12 stereo wav file) to the MUSIC folder
- import track(s) from the MUSIC folder onto song tracks with a certain degree of flexibility (mono, stereo...)
- swap tracks
- delete tracks
A wise use of such options would let you do some work in dawless mode, even the export of stems or different versions of a mix. You could find useful this tip (scroll to message #6).
More sophisticated tasks are better done on a computer, as the Model 12 is designed as a recording capable live mixer to be paired to a DAW.

Thanks for the quick response. Do you or anyone else know what swapping stereo and mono tracks would look like without requiring a computer?

1. Is it possible to swap mono tracks 1 & 2 into stereo track 9/10?
2. Is it possible to swap stereo track 9/10 into mono tracks 1 & 2?

Short answer: yes. Please refer to page 47 of the OM > Swapping Tracks for details.
If you find an answer useful you could thank the author with a "Like", it will be appreciated.

Last edited:
I see that in the manual but unfortunately doesn't really say that swapping between 2 mono tracks and 1 stereo track works. I thought this question would have been asked before as it is such a basic routine users would perform often but haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. Might just have to buy the unit and figure it out then. It could require file management on a computer or bouncing in the unit.

Don't worry, that's the Tascam style :)
Think of track swap as a per-track function, stereo tracks are two single tracks that are saved onto a stereo file. Once accustomed to the Model 12 it is very easy to move tracks around and go beyond its limits, depending on how many tracks you plan to record you could do the majority of the work without the need to reach for a computer. Bouncing on the Model is a no-brainer task, you can export a mixdown (bounce) then import it back in a new song, record new tracks, wash & rinse. No computer needed.
Or, you could decide to lay the tracks on the Model 12 and continue the work within a DAW for further processing and editing.

Reactions: Stew71 and Logrinn

New threads

Members online