Múltiple/alternate takes on single track

Tahiche

Gear owned
Model 12
Hi!
Waiting for my Model 12 to arrive and I’m doing my homework in advance. Really glad I found this forum!.
I’m wondering if there’s a way to do multiple takes on a track for later comping and choosing on a daw. I know you can swap a track content to another empty one, but in the case of alternate takes I don’t think that’s an ideal solution and it’ll needlessly take up tracks. I think the DP series has something like this for alternate takes. Maybe there’s a way to export the track file to SD so the track can be cleared to record over?.
My intention is to record stuff dawless (mtr) and then transfer to a daw (if needed). I tend to improvise a lot so doing multiple takes and choosing the best bits later would be the way to go.

Thanks!.

Hi, I'm not sure about the Model 12's capabilities, but there is an excellent write-up on "Virtual Tracks" over in the "DP24/32(SD) Production Tips" sticky on the "2488 and DP-24/32" forum; and that may give you some ideas of what's possible.

Old No7

@Old No7 thabks for your answer. Yes, I’m aware of Virtual Tracks on the DP machines. Was wondering how to achieve something similar on the Model 12.
Múltiple takes are really important for me if using it standalone.

Tahiche Strictly speaking the Model 12 doesn't support multiple takes, but it's possible to record in a similar fashion providing you feel comfortable with the small track count and some file fiddling. Plug your instrument cable to channel 1 input and set the levels, mute all the other channels; arm the record button for Track 1 and record your first take. When in stop, enter the menu screen MTR > TRACK EDIT > TRACK SWAP, choose 1 (source) and 2 (destination) then confirm to execute.
Now you can record a new take on track 1, when finished repeat the swap to a free track until you are satisfied or have filled all the tracks. Tracks 11 and 12 always record the Main Mix every time you hit the record button, this stereo mix can then be exported to the MUSIC folder on the SD card. Given there is no option for renaming files the Model 12 can only export one version of the main mix, until you rename it manually leaving room for virtually a huge number of takes. I.e. say you recorded 12 tracks: export the stereo mix to the MUSIC folder, put the SD in your computer (or connect the Model 12 via USB), reach for the MUSIC folder and rename the stereo mix file in a way that is meaningful to you (or just add a number), put the SD back in the Model 12 and continue your recording session.
Another way of achieving (sort of) multiple takes would be to create a bunch of songs each with 12 takes, load all the individual tracks to a DAW for comping, mix and export the resulting track to the MUSIC folder on SD (it must be at the same sampling rate and bit depth of your original song) and import to a new song (Menu MTR > TRACK EDIT > TRACK IMPORT).
Always backup your song files before editing on pc.

Hope it helps

Max

Reactions: Tahiche
Thanks for the answer @Max Relic
Covering this beforehand is sure gonna save me some frustation because in my mind multiple takes would be something i´d take for granted on a digital multi-track recorder.
Way i see it is with the track-swap method i´ll surely run out of tracks for a complete standalone dawless recording. Main vocal, background vocal, bass, drums (2), guitar 1, guitar 2... that´s already 7 tracks for the basics so track swaping (just for backups) is not really an option.
So it comes down to exporting but...
Given there is no option for renaming files the Model 12 can only export one version of the main mix, until you rename it manually
If i understand this correctly i´ll only be able to export one file over and over unless i connect to a computer to rename.
If i have to connect to a computer i might aswell use a daw to record those takes. Right?.
So i guess if working standalone on the Model 12 i won´t do multiple takes. I do wish they allowed a way to do this, i donñt think it´d be too hard. An option to export a track´s file (not only main LR) with auto-renaming would be enough.

Reading the available documents and planning beforehand will certainly help you to move along with confidence between the bounds of Model 12, and maybe develop a new successfull recording strategy. The track count is humble but you can easily overcome its limits:
- create a pre-mix with the first set of 10 takes and export it to the MUSIC folder (give it a suitable name if you like), it will be your reference track for the next steps;
- create a NEW song with the same base name and an increasing index number;
- import the pre-mix you exported previously;
- start recording on empty tracks 1-8;
- create a new pre-mix that will be the reference for the next step and export it to the MUSIC folder;
- repeat at will.
You will end with multiple takes spread over different song folders that then you could load in your daw for editing and comping. Once planned ahead the process is straightforward and you can record hundreds of tracks before needing to start your computer.
By the way, life would be easier if Tascam had implemented auto or even manual rename. We should try contacting them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stew71 and Tahiche
Ok, I get it
Makes sense and it seems doable. The key, which I hadn’t thought about, is to export the mix from the previous “song” as a single track and take it from there.
thanks!.

Reactions: Stew71

New threads

Staff online

Members online