Corrupt Flash Memory and Smart Media Cards

Steven LaFashia

Gear owned
424, MX-2424
I have been an MX-2424 owner since 2000 and it was my main production machine for many years but have not used the machine in a long time. I am looking to export and archive some old projects and in an attempt to update to the latest OS it appears I have corrupted both the flash memory on the machine and on two Tascam-supplied SmartMedia cards. I am hoping to format the SmartMedia cards and copy the latest (3.12 I believe) MX-2424 OS to them, and then install on my machine. I am running Windows 2000 on an old Dell, with both MX-View and Viewnet installed as well as Mac OS 10.13.6 on my mid-2010 MacBook Pro. I have a Lexar card reader that both computers are recognizing but the SmartMedia cards are not showing up on either.

Your help would be very much appreciated. I'd love to get the machine working again and utilize the batch download feature in the latest MX OS so I may transfer files via ethernet. Thanks!

Does mx recognize card? Did you try updating card in mx card slot via ethernet? Sometimes my computer doesn't see smart cards but they work fine on whatever piece of gear I use them with. With corrupt data mx should still be able to format the card before loading os onto same.

Thank you Caveman. The MX shows a prompt saying "Corrupt Flash Memory" on startup and because of that it won't even go online via MX-View or Viewnet to update the OS. I would love to format the card even with the "Corrupt Flash Memory" on the MX. Any ideas you have would be great and appreciated.

If you insert flash card before powering up mx do you get same message? I haven't done it in a lng time but I think mxview is supposed to be running before we power mx for os updates. Forgive me if you know this, I'm trying to remember steps for update.

I only have one card they're hard to find today. What I can do is try to find a card, put os on it and send you that media card to try and load os onto mx flash.

Found a 4meg 3v card online bought it if you're still having issues when it comes in I'll load os on it and send to you so you can try cycling thru with it in slot.

I really appreciate your help Caveman. I am hoping to install the latest and last OS which I believe is 3.12. Thank you again for your help.

I have 3.12 installed so once I get card in I'll load it send it to you asap

I can't thank you enough Caveman. Really looking forward to getting this machine back up and running. I did so much work with it over the years.

I hear ya Ive had a few of these and first one was 2000 nothing worked on it no ethernet transfers so while I waited I used an alesis masterlink to bu tracks two at a time over dig line. pita to put tracks back together but just slammed em against left margin. It took a long time to get all they promised but once we got it, LOVED it! dvd ram was slow at first too, it was a big mess when it first came out, well, you remember lol Are you or were you east coast nj maybe? There was a steve on original forum back then went from analog 2" to mx nice studio setup did lots of work busy busy busy.

That machine owes me nothing at this point. I used it hard for over a decade. I am based in Philadelphia. I remember the old forum. It was a great source of information. I never transferred from analog but was fortunate to be busy with the machine.

my first mx ran 7 days a week double triple sessions daily. Hardly any issues. Power supply cable issue reseated cables pinched ends then went to external drive no issues after that display didn't even dim. Problem with adat card sparks arcing to frame below bent it upward no issue after that. HD issues which are normal. Total workh0rse ;-)

Hi Caveman,

Steven emailed me about the card issue and I told him to pop the question here, cheers for helping out.

Like you I have had an MX bought new that has been working flat out for about 18 years, the only problem I have really had is SCSI drives acting up. I am thinking of retiring the MX as a recorder but still using it as an interface which you can do with analog cards and ADAT cards fitted. But I just bought 20 SCSI drives that are unused so if I can get these to last for a while I may just keep recording on the MX. I have 2 spare machines also that can be replacements or spare parts.

Alan.

Im on my last mx, next chapter in my life is about to begin in two years wont have room for reel to reel mx boards rack gear etc. Ill keep a dp24sd a laptop some pedals just for rainy days. lol

I truly appreciate your help Alan and Caveman. I love my MX. Even though it is retired from session duty I have a ton of old sessions that I would love to archive. Can't wait to dive into it.

Reactions: Caveman
ok have a card for you loaded it with 3.12 msg me your mailing info and I'll get it out to you asap ;-)

Hello everyone.. I’ve run into a problem.. my mx2424 has a corrupted flash memory and the smart media card I have that came with it caused the issue.... does anyone have an extra card with the os that I can purchase? Thanks in advance..

New threads

Members online

No members online now.