Did you change to Tascam 24-track away from computer?

Numerov

Hello everyone.

If your experience fits in with EITHER ONE of the scenarios below - I would be very interested in your answers....

1) If you used a computer (pc or mac) for recording and mixing/editing and changed to a Tascam 24 track for recording and mixing/editing....

(a) What was your computer system?
(b) What is your Tascam machine?
(c) What has improved for you?
(d) Do you have any regrets in making this change - if you do ...what are they?

===============================================================

2) If you used a computer (pc or mac) for recording and mixing/editing and changed to a Tascam 24 track for recording only but continue to mix/edit on your computer system....
(a) What is your computer system?
(b) What is your Tascam machine?
(c) What has improved for you?
(d) How time consuming is it to transfer tracks between your Tascam ans computer system?
(e) Do you have any regrets in making this change - if you do ...what are they?

Thank you

Numerov

I did for reasons of budget and ease of operation, didn't see how i could get the same capabilities for the same $. FWIW several of my projects surprised the mastering engineer when i told them that the project was recorded on a 2488 mkII with consumer grade mics and mixed in a home studio.

Hi Numerov,

(a) What was your computer system? Windows 7 64bit, cubase/FL Studio
(b) What is your Tascam machine? DP24
(c) What has improved for you? Work flow is much better. 8 balanced phantom power inputs that are very high quality and record simulatneously. A decent interface for a computer that does this would be alot of money on it's own.

I worked for some years with just PC and bought all kinds of outboard controls surfaces to improve my workflow, but it just doesn't work for me personally, when the creative juices are flowing. I also have RSI issues with using a mouse too much.

I love the channel strip on the DP24, makes quick eq changes and effects changes really intuative and a pleasure.

I totally understand that alot of people are quite content with the PC DAW route , but it's not for me, at least on it's own, despite the potential power it offers.

(d) Do you have any regrets in making this change - if you do ...what are they? None to really speak of. I still use my PC synced to my DP24 for virtual instruments in Cubase, like drums etc. and I still like to mess with samples and beats with FL Studio. But for recording instruments there's nothing like switching on a solid state unit, assigning a channel and hitting record. It doesn't get in my way with driver issues and windows update nonsense.

If the DP24 had built in automation it would be fantastic, but for the price you can't complain. Also I'm still hopeful I can get it working with mixermuse's T2488 which enables automation of most if not all features available at mixdown.

I do find the metronome function a little bit annoying. It's got a strange tone, which you cannot change and you need to stop the transport before you can change tempo or disable it. Not being able to change tempo in realtime as you audition it is a disadvantage, but one I'm prepared to live with for the other advantages.

===============================================================

New threads

Members online