Different effects on different tracks? (Model 12)

Hammarlund

Gear owned
Model 12
I want to make sure I'm understanding the manual right. Can someone confirm? I think:

1) All normal (channel 1-10) tracks are automatically recorded "dry": No compressor/effects/eq/fader. Only the gain. There is no option for "wet."

2) Conversely, all main stereo tracks are normally recorded "wet", which is to say "what you hear, including any eq/effects/etc." (I am not sure--can anyone tell me?--whether the master-EQ section is included in the mix recording or not....?)

3) Any time I am recording only a single source w/ no other playback, assuming I have the channel record "on," then I am actually creating a "dry" and "wet" AT THE SAME TIME, because "dry" is in the channel track and "wet" is in the main mix already. So if I want to grab that "wet" mix before overwriting it, I can optionally save/copy it somewhere else. (If I forget, it's gone; overwriting of main mix happens automatically as soon as I re-record.)

4) If I did NOT (or cannot) do that, then I need to:
a) record a dry track or use an existing one
b) set that dry track to MTR playback and mute all other tracks but main
c) Pan dry track to one side
d) Start recorder, which will record main mix only.
e) Make any effects / eq/ compressor/ level adjustments on the track channel strip, as the track plays
f) copy half of the main stereo track to the new mono channel where I want it

Am I right? Is there a better way?

Am I correct that making a "wet" track with embedded effects is the only method by which I can use two DIFFERENT effects on different channels, in a single final mix?

E.g. if I want guitar w/ chorus and vocals w/ reverb, I'd need to make a "wet' track w/ chorus, and then run that track while turning on the reverb for vocals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I correct that making a "wet" track with embedded effects is the only method by which I can use two DIFFERENT effects on different channels, in a single final mix?

E.g. if I want guitar w/ chorus and vocals w/ reverb, I'd need to make a "wet' track w/ chorus, and then run that track while turning on the reverb for vocals.

Sounds correct. Certainly for EQ and Comp you can set the MTR feed to capture post fader- it’s a choice per track.

For effect to print to MTR, I think one probably needs to either physically patch (Sub out to input of another tracks via a pair of cables) or bounce the from master recorded with the effect to in order to get the desired effect printed to the MTR?

At least I think that’s the case?

Actually you just gave me an inspiration.

For working in solo song writing mode, one could designate 2 track per instrument to be set (semi-permanently or habitually) as dry and wet.

For example I could decide that Track 4 is usually “dry” guitar pre comp, and Track 5 is usually “wet” guitar post Fader on board (and perhaps with a set of cables from the Sub out, also post effect).

Having it sort of pre ordained is conducive to grab the instrument and capture sponanaity.

Y’know, the more I play with the Model 12 the more I realize how incredibly flexible this device is...

yes, that is also my goal.

For vocals and guitar, I will have a dry track in case I nail it and want to tweak w/DAW later, or in case I want to redo effects in final mix. But for general multitrack use it will often be more convenient to have a wet track so I want to be able to make those, too.

In fact, for vocals I may even have a third harmony track via my Play Acoustic.

I want to make sure I'm understanding the manual right. Can someone confirm? I think:

1) All normal (channel 1-10) tracks are automatically recorded "dry": No compressor/effects/eq/fader. Only the gain. There is no option for "wet."

2) Conversely, all main stereo tracks are normally recorded "wet", which is to say "what you hear, including any eq/effects/etc." (I am not sure--can anyone tell me?--whether the master-EQ section is included in the mix recording or not....?)

3) Any time I am recording only a single source w/ no other playback, assuming I have the channel record "on," then I am actually creating a "dry" and "wet" AT THE SAME TIME, because "dry" is in the channel track and "wet" is in the main mix already. So if I want to grab that "wet" mix before overwriting it, I can optionally save/copy it somewhere else. (If I forget, it's gone; overwriting of main mix happens automatically as soon as I re-record.)

4) If I did NOT (or cannot) do that, then I need to:
a) record a dry track or use an existing one
b) set that dry track to MTR playback and mute all other tracks but main
c) Pan dry track to one side
d) Start recorder, which will record main mix only.
e) Make any effects / eq/ compressor/ level adjustments on the track channel strip, as the track plays
f) copy half of the main stereo track to the new mono channel where I want it

Am I right? Is there a better way?

1. Depends on your settings, Check out MTR/USB SEND POINT page 54 in the manual. You can have it post compressor and eq.

2. Yes, you could say that. You can choose to have the eq recorded, see page 24 (POST REC switch).

3. Well, yes, I guess, you could ...

4. The better way: record everything dry. Take out the SD card when you're done and pop it into your computer. Load the files in your DAW of choice and do whatever you want with the recordings there. Add effects and stuff as you're mixing/adding stuff.
Ie the way many has been doing it for decades with analog mixers and tape recorders.
Of course, there's nothing to say that you can't break the rules, like record a guitar with a specific effect on it. But you'll be stuck with that effect ...

Reactions: Freebird
If you're talking about making submixes and then reimporting them back into tracks in the machine. Please see this Production Tips thread on the DP forum:

DP-24/32(SD) Production Tips | Page 4 | TASCAM Forums

There are more FX tips that are applicable to the Model series.

Reactions: Freebird
"Depends on your settings, Check out MTR/USB SEND POINT"

That's EXACTLY what I needed--I knew it was somewhere but I kept visually skipping past it when I scanned the manual. Thanks! ("Send point" was my missing search term.)

"The better way: record everything dry. Take out the SD card when you're done and pop it into your computer. Load the files in your DAW of choice and do whatever you want with the recordings there. Add effects and stuff as you're mixing/adding stuff."

That's not as easy for me. I am much lower level than many folks here. I have experience using a 464 and other tascams, and experience w/ mixers, but have never used a DAW. I'm just learning, and Studio One Artist (not Pro) is all I own. That's why I got the T12: I want to be able to work mostly on the T12; I want real physical controls for everything; and I want those physical controls to work when I'm using a DAW.

I want real physical controls for everything; and I want those physical controls to work when I'm using a DAW.

I can certainly understand that. I also mix on a console.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.