DM 24 - line inputs dead

Discussion in 'TASCAM DM-24' started by Giorgos Panos, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Giorgos Panos

Giorgos Panos New Member

Athens, Greece
    Gear:
    Tascam DM 24
    Good morning from Greece,
    i recently bought i dm 24 from a friend in great (i hope) condition. After reading the basics and manual carefully i started working with it. Everything seem to be OK. Effects, routing, sound, i am also controlling Ableton live, external gear.... But i found out that line inputs No 9,10, 11, 12 are dead. No input signal at all. Even if i try xlr cables. All the other inputs are fine and i also have signal in meter screen as well. Do you believe it is a hardware problem? How can i check it to be sure what it is making this problem?

sorry for my bad english and thank you
  2. Giorgos Panos

Giorgos Panos New Member

Athens, Greece
    Gear:
    Tascam DM 24
    ...after many thoughts i decided to call an electronic service guy. Below some pics of some dead capacitors. I hope the problem stops right there. I will post again when i will replace it with the new input pcb from Tascam.

IMGP3358.JPG IMGP3361.JPG
    DJ X likes this.
  3. rbrezins

rbrezins New Member

Netherlands
    Gear:
    DM24 DM3200 MA-AD8 IF-DA8 TA1V
    Thnx for the heads up!
    Going to check my DM24 for faulty capacitors, btw, I already replaced almost all capacitors in the switching psu of the DM24.
    Check those as well.
    Erotico Studios likes this.
  4. Giorgos Panos

Giorgos Panos New Member

Athens, Greece
    Gear:
    Tascam DM 24
    ...so after replacing all capacitors in input pcb (a brand new costs almost 300 euro from Tascam) my DM works perfectly! 80 capacitors total!!!
  5. Jarno

Jarno Member

Espoo S.A.R, Soviet Finlandia
    Gear:
    DM-4800
    Great to hear about your success. It's a shame there's so much gear built in late '90s / early '00s having these bad capacitors :evil: But the good new is your DM is back alive.
    Ouch! I'm not sure, if I would do all that work just to save €300 ... well ... maybe I would ... right now writing this on an old Lenovo laptop with broken display, which needs 30 minutes to warm up and be usable ... even though I know I could buy a good used monitor for €50 and PC/monitor combination with similar capabilities for €150 :rolleyes:
  6. HiFiDavid

HiFiDavid New Member

Gear:
    Tascam DM-3200
    Giorgos,
    Awesome work! I've just got a dead channel as well. Still love my DM.
    Do you have a shopping list of the capacitors you used? (and which board they went in?)
    I'd love to replace mine as well, but am using it so don't want to tear it all down to get the specs... If you can post, that would be very helpful to all!

Thanks!!
  7. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur Member

Gear:
    Tascam DM24
    It's a well laid out unit and easy to work on...
  8. Giorgos Panos

Giorgos Panos New Member

Athens, Greece
    Gear:
    Tascam DM 24
    I agree, it is easy to open the console. It is also easy to find and buy the same capacitors but i believe if you are not familiar with electronics better prefer someone with electronic skills to do it for you. (only half hour will need) It is also very important to check all capacitors with a capacity meter. You will be surprised when you will discover that more capacitors must be changed. After so many years it is usual some capacity lose! Also check all the flat white cables between the two pcbs. I think i used capacitors with same μF and same temperature 105 C but with a little higher voltage than tascams but is OK . If you need more info feel free to contack me.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014