DM 3200 Output for Headphones

Uiane

Gear owned
DM 3200
Hello,

I Just bought the DM3200. I'm in Brazil, had to go over NY and buy it, because nothing in this price range would satisfy me like the DM 3200.

But, I have a quesiton that so far I could not figure out how to send the headphone mix to a headphone preamp using ANALOG without the IFAN/DM card.

Is there anyway ?

thank you!

One way is to Aux the stereo mix out to two Assignable Sends.

Essentially, your headphone preamp's inputs would be connected to those DM outputs (sends), and using the default Aux 1/2 as your headphone mix source, route the desired channels and tracks to those auxes.

CaptDan

Dan's suggestion is just fine. But there are other options. I can recall some 3 or 4 different approaches to create a headphone mix in DM.

Maybe you could list your special needs:
1. totally different mixes to different headphone channels
2. one basic mix with fine-tuning or different headphone channels
3. one basic mix + "more of me"-option for different headhone channels
4. something else

The best way to create headphone mixes depends on what you need.

Thank you Dan and Jarno,

My doubt, is more directed to the phisical output, like, Can i Use the TDIF as analog outs, or I need to purchase the IFAN card to use analog outputs to my headphone preamp ?

Another question is, I'll be using the 3200 as my firewire interface for pro tools, so my Clock will be internal for the 3200 (96khz)
but can I use the ADAT out with a lower sample rate to send to a "HEAR" monitor system ?
because most of these ADAT Ins for monitoring systemas are 44.1 and 48khz only.

and I'll be probably using two differente mixes for monitoring (drummer and rest).

So this way, I can use the 4 aux sends as 2 stereo pairs out from the 3200 right ?!

Thx again for you help!

Uiane said:
Can i Use the TDIF as analog outs, or I need to purchase the IFAN card to use analog outputs to my headphone preamp ?
TDIF is a digital interface, so if you don't have TDIF->analog converter (or find a cheap one from eBay), it's not a solution. So if you've already used all ASSIGNABLE SENDs and need more analog outputs, it's time to buy IF-AN/DM.

Uiane said:
can I use the ADAT out with a lower sample rate to send to a "HEAR" monitor system ?
Unfortunately there's no sample rate converion in DM's digital outputs. So ADAT outs follow DM's internal sample rate.

Uiane said:
I can use the 4 aux sends as 2 stereo pairs out from the 3200 right ?
Correct!

Much thanks again!!
very helpfull!

I've uploaded a document discribing a way to create a headphone mix. The handiest way when using the desk with multiple musicians is a headphone distributor (like the MH from Tascam). Or if you are recording all by yourself I suggest using the internal headphone amp..

Much thx again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible for me to get this document?

Thanks.... Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently using Aux 1&2 and Aux 3&4 for two separate headphone mixes using two headphone amps connected to the 4 assignable sends. Is it possible to create another two stereo headphone mixes using Aux 5&6 and Aux 7&8? I have a presonus firestudio that I am using for 8 additional mic/line inputs. I also have the firewire card for my DM-3200. Can Aux 5&6 and 7&8 be sent to the firestudio and then sent out through the firestudio aux outs to two more headphone amps? I want to be able to control each headphone mix from the DM-3200(level, pan, pre/post, etc). Will this work or is their a better or easier way to get 4 separate headphone mixes. I am also using pro tools 10 and Mac OS. I am new to all this and trying to learn from the manuals, this forum and any youtube videos I can find. Thanks for any help.

I can't see any problem with this. Just send your aux5/6 and aux7/8 out of 4 channels of your DM's adat out, and connect that to your firestudio. Now your firestudio should be set at send those four adat channels to the FS's analog outputs, and that should go to your headphone amps. Easy, easy. Just make sure that the FS is set to clock externaly from ADAT, not internally. But that should do it.

Reactions: Peter Batah

New threads

Members online

No members online now.