Veteran
From
New York City
Website
falafelmafianyc.blogspot.com
Gear owned
Tascam DM-3200
Hi All:

My studio partner and I just got a DM-3200 with meter bridge. We are going to set it up this weekend. We're using it to replace our Mackie Universal Controller & extension. We place to use our Lynx Aurora 8-channel AD/DA converters for passing audio in and out of the PC, with the Lynx patched into the DM-3200's analog i/o. Does anyone know whether when using the DM-3200 as a control surface, the meter bridge will or can show the mixer channels in Nuendo? We did not get the firewire card for the DM-3200.

Ideally, I'd like to have the 3200's meter bridge mirror my mixer channel views in Nuendo. The manuals for both the 3200 and meter bridge appear silent on this issue. On the Mackie's, while tiny, there was an option of seeing in the LCD the level of each track in Nuendo.

The short answer is - yes. The longer answer is, you'll have to watch a video to get an idea how to set it up.

Our resident 'UDL' guru - 'Jamsire' - produced an excellent video of the method. Go to youtube.com, and search for 'DM4800 with Cubase;' 'Jamsire.' Yes, Nuendo and Cubase are somewhat different; but good ol' Steinberg hatched both of 'em. :)

CaptDan

OK, thanks. I'll check out the video. One thing we're planning on doing is using our old MOTU 2408 MkII as a substitute for the IF-FW card for monitoring during tracking/editing & setting up a mix. However, to reco and our final mixing, we're going to use our Lynx because the quality of the conversion.

we're planning on doing is using our old MOTU 2408 MkII as a substitute for the IF-FW card for monitoring during tracking/editing & setting up a mix. However, to reco and our final mixing, we're going to use our Lynx because the quality of the conversion.
Why to use Lynx? You can connect DM with 2408 using TDIF, in which case there is no conversion, because everything remains digital.

You're probably not going to believe this, but the DM's conversion is most definitely top drawer - likely equal to the Lynx. Several members of this forum have sold their outboard conversion because, over time, they discovered this to be true. With the DM as word clock master, you can achieve jitter-free clarity. Of course, there are cases that can be made for using an outboard clock; perhaps in complex scenarios with a myriad of devices to be locked together, that might be advisable.

This topic has been discussed quite a bit over the past few years; if you search the messages you'll get an eyeful. :)

And here's something even stranger: I've given up on most of my old outboard preamps; I find 95% of the time, the DM's pres are at least as good if not better. But, I like transparency; not everybody agrees.

YMMV.

CaptDan

CaptDan:

Humm, very interesting. I will check out the DM's converters and try to do a blind evaluation with my partner. I used to swear by my RME's and MOTU's as being "just fine." But when we upgraded to the Lynx, the sound was certainly at a different level -- larger, detailed and open.

Curious on the mic pre's too. We just got an Avalon VT-737SP as our other recent addition to our studio. A colored mic pre/recording channel for sure but rich, warm, detailed and clear sound AND plenty of gain.

Gonna be a taste testing Sunday!

Depending on what you're doing, it's nice to have alternative pre amp flavors. The Avalon is certainly a favorite among many who like it in combination with certain mikes and for particular voices. It's often a subjective choice which is perfectly fine; many creative decisions are based on that.

CaptDan

Agreed. Mic pre's are sort of the aural equivalent of staging lights for the video guys. Each mic pre offers different shades of sound. Sometimes a very neutral transparent pre is necessary, sometimes you need a little grit. Whatever gets the job done.

And I thought I was just going to hook up some cables this weekend. Thanks for your insights and suggestions on the board.

We would want to use the Lynx for tracking instruments and vocals instead of the 2408.
I can see that ...even while I too share CaptDan's opinion on DM's converters. But then why this?
Lynx patched into the DM-3200's analog i/o
There's TDIF on Lynx, too? Right? Why not use it between Lynx and DM, then?

To be honest, I find it very hard to follow what kind of signal path you are after?
recording: Mic -> Lynx (does Lynx have preamps?) -> split to PC and DM? or what?
monitoring: PC -> Lynx -> DM? or what?
If so ... where does 2408 comes in? What's it for?

You said:
However, to reco and our final mixing, we're going to use our Lynx because the quality of the conversion.
But then ... buring mixing, you should need no conversion, if you use 2408 as interface between PC and DM. It should provide 24ch digital interface (no conversion involved).

As I said: can't follow/understand your signal path.

Our chain would be mic -> pre -> Lynx -> PC. We would use the MOTU (hooked up to the DM by TDIF) for monitoring previously recorded tracks during tracking of additional takes. So, let's say I have drums and bass already recorded and I'm doing a rhythm guitar take, my guitar would be hitting the Lynx, but I would be listening to the previously recorded drums and bass via the MOTU.

Before getting the DM, we were using no mixer, only the Mackie Universal & extenders (old version). We were planning on getting the updated Mackies or perhaps looking at other control surfaces such as the Avid Artist Mix Series or the Mixed Logic. When doing our pre-purchase research, I read about the DM-3200 and the more I thought about it, the more I thought that perhaps this would be our move and we went for the DM.

My partner and I are from the old school of analog -- Tascam 38, 8-track, reel-to-reel, remember? But since 2003, I have been mixing in the box and almost always with a control surface, first the MotorMix and later the Mackies. However, the one thing that I missed was a real meter bridge, which is one of the reasons we chose the DM.

However, in reading the material I saw online, it appeared that the only way we could get readings on the DM's meters from Nuendo would be using the IF-firewire card. However, since we already had the MOTU sitting in the rack, we thought that using the MOTU would be a work around. However, from what CaptDan says, for us to have the DM follow the metering in Nuendo, we will not need either the MOTU or the Firewire card.

The Lynx Aurora 8 has no mic pre's. 8/8 analog i/o, 8/8 AES/EBU digital.

http://www.lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=2

Actually, you DO need the Firewire card, or at least an equivalent means of sending digital input to the DM. Our good Forum friend - Tascman - wrote a comprehensive post about how to do this; perhaps he'll chime in and point you to it.

From what you describe in all honesty, it seems you're making things more difficult than they need be. The DM and Firewire interface is a powerful, stable set up. Essentially, you can do everything you described using just that plus your usual tracking tools. Monitoring previously recorded tracks is easily accomplished without having to resort to using the MOTU or additional hardware.

If you haven't already gotten one, I'd strongly suggest you consider obtaining a DM MKII interface. Hell - I'll stick my neck out even further - suggesting you sell your Lynx to finance it. Or - keep the Lynx and take the plunge anyway. I seriously doubt you'll regret it. :)

Just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

CaptDan

CaptDan:

I'm glad to see that you are very passionate about the DM -- a good sign. My partner and I are very passionate about the Lynx, so we will not be selling it. However, the MKII Firewire card is only about $325 but we just spent a boatload on gear this week and we have a few other purchases to make. However, if we are dissatisfied wih the MOTU option, we will likely for the MKII.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.