dm-4800 as a control surface

wizzywizz

Gear owned
DM4800 and DM-24 and US-1641
Dear all!

I was wondering if it is possible to use the dm4800 as a advanced control surface incl. the ability to change the panning, eq, compression, gate, etc. on every 48+ tracks in a prepped cubase project not using the mixer routing/ etc.? I have a dm4800 mixer in my studio, but not at home. I want to take the recorded project home and finish the mix but I would like to take the mix settings I made with me. Buying a extra dm4800 or 3200 is not an option for me. Or are there other options I didn't think of?

Thanks for the insights!!

Kind rgards,

Wizzywizz

Yes. Bring the project session home, load it into Cubase, and perform all the changes manually with a mouse. :)

Or - you could invest in a 'smart' control surface - one that can access each and every adjustable parameter in your Cubase session.

It sort of gets down to that age old, unavoidable axiom: The Golden Triangle:

Good--------------Fast--------------Cheap

Pick any TWO sides. :)

CaptDan

Thanks! Although I appreciate your reply, that's not what I'm asking. I don't mind using the mouse and keyboard at home. I want to use the tascam dm4800 in the studio as a smart control surface so as to I can prep the recording/ mix while recording live in cubase and take these settings with me in the cubase project. And continue with the mouse/ keyboard at home for the final mix.

Thanks again!

WizzyWizz

Okay. The way you worded your question, it seemed a little contradictory.

Here's the deal in a nutshell:

Yes. There IS a way to enhance the DM(3200/4800) control surface to include 'deep' functions - plugin control; EQ; VST automation, efx, etc etc.
This is done with the User Defined Layer.

The bad news: I've never done it, so I can't give you the step-by-step. Ernie Jackson (aka: 'Jamsire') did a very good tutorial on YouTube, where he demo-ed this very thing. And, it was done with Cubase.

If you haven't already seen it, check it out. It may not help you specifically with your immediate intentions, but I think it'll put you on the right road.

CaptDan

I will look into that!

Appreciate this CaptDan!

Are there perhaps any examples (dm projects & cubase projects) of some sort flowing around?

Kind regards,

WizzyWizz

Wasn't there a place on the old forum board where you could post mp3's of your projects? Is there one here? HiJack not intended...

captdan said:
I don't know of any offhand; that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Perhaps somebody else might have an answer, though.

CaptDan

Watched the insttuction video you suggested. Very informative indeed! Great tip!

Kind regards,

WizzyWizz

TascMan said:
Wasn't there a place on the old forum board where you could post mp3's of your projects? Is there one here? HiJack not intended...

Isn't a slot for that here - yet. Perhaps our intrepid Moderators might provide one, though.

Weird story:

The last time I was on the old board was when I was uploading an MP3 clip of a DM mix I'd done. About an hour later, the website went down. For awhile, I wondered if it was my fault. :LOL:

CaptDan

Watched the insttuction video you suggested. Very informative indeed! Great tip!

Ernie J (Jamsire) is not only a talented musician and producer, but a walking encyclopedia of audio, ProTools, Cubase, and DM info. He teaches at a private college back east. Terrific guy; I owe a lot of my Ptools knowledge to him.

He pops in here occasionally; maybe he's reading this right now. Hey - ErnWAH! Howya doin?' :)

CaptDan

Jamsire is a great guy and he also is a professor teaching music technology (coincidentally at a college just a few blocks from my home). I'm sure if you PM him he will provide you with some of his wisdom.

New threads

Members online