Dm4800 and cubase control faders

Pinkypete

Gear owned
Tascam dm4800
Hi guys I have a problem that I'm thinking is possibly a bug. I'm running cubase 10.5
And have a dm4800 which works lovely with the fire wire card I also have usb conected from the dm to the pc, I have the meter bridge
And that is synced to cubase so I have the clock timings I also have rewind stop play and
Forward from the desk to cubase as I added mtc generate to machine control on the desk all works fine. I'm now trying to get the faders to control the cubase faders.
Now I'm pretty familiar with how to set it up but has anyone come across this, I set faders 1-8
Using the Steinberg emulate 24 or even the hui emulate to port 5 at cubase and works fine faders work to cubase and from cubase but, if I add a second controller and I use the port 6 for the next 8 channels this is what happens, I move channel1 fader and channel9 also moves
Move channel 2 fader and the channel 10 fader also moves even though in the control screen it shows the 3 separate bank of channels to the relevant port 5 6 and 7. So basically it looks like the tascam
Isnt assigned correctly the each set of 8 channels to the 3 ports or am I missing something
Thanks pete

When you setup the MIDI control in Cubase for the DM, the sequence is backward from what you might ordinarily think: Faders 1 - 8 are set to Tascam MIDI 7, Faders 9 - 16 to Tascam MIDI 6, and Faders 17 - 24 to Tascam MIDI 5. Forget about anything to do with HUI when interfacing with Cubase.
And you don't need MTC at all for transport control from the DM to Cubase, it is all in the MC Steinberg protocol.

Reactions: mixerizer
Thanks in the end I had to add the 3 Mackie's controllers disconnect them all then set them up to 7,6 and 5 and that seems to have fixed it. The reason I used mtc on the dm is it's the only way I could get the clock to work on the meter bridge, if I dont set mtc up on the dm I do t get the clock on the meter bridge ????

Yeah, I hear ya about the clock on the meter bridge, but I gave up on that years ago. I never could get it to work smoothly so I just use the internal clock displays in Nuendo and Cubase. Very frustrating, but after twelve years on this mixer I honestly don't miss it.

Reactions: mixerizer
pinkypete - you can change the source of the meter bridge’s time code by adjusting the OPTION - SETUP page’s UPPER BAR DISPLAY and the AUTOMATION - SETUP page’s SYNC SOURCE settings. You can display incoming MTC from the DM’s MIDI in, or over USB from your PC, or incoming SMPTE TC. Need to make sure the MIDI setup page passes MTC to or from whichever route you choose. when it works, its worth it but yep its complex :)

Last edited:
Ok cool I will have a look at that thanks, also not sure if you know this I use cubase and transport and remote layer works fine what I would like to be able go do is when I touch a fader on the dm and it activates the relevant track in cubase is to be able to hit record on the dm to arm the track on cubase for record and also to arm record on the cubase transport is this possible??

Last edited:
Yes, if you have properly setup your remote functions in Cubase to interface with the DM4800, you can do all the things you would expect (With some exceptions) from a Mackie Control, or in my case, a Steinberg Houston Controller, and arming and disarming tracks is one of those things. This is all contained in the Tascam DM4800 manual and it is not a long chapter. Pretty straight forward. If you don't have the physical manual you can find it in the Tascam archives.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.