DM4800 and Logic 9 transport & timecode

I think there's some terminology disconnects. By 'automation,' you probably mean Remote Control - ie: - remotely controlling Logic's faders, pans, etc.
So, 'extenders' are meant to affect those aspects of HUI - where Logic's fader banks are remotely controlled. That menu is accessed in the DM 'REMote' screen, tab #3.

On the same menu, Tab #2 accesses the REMote MMControl transport function. I don't use Logic, but I'll assume the DM/Logic HUI emulation is the correct option in that menu.

You don't need TMC to utilize MTC, unless of course, you wish to display MTC on the TMC screen. In either case; however, USB communication has to be connected on USB#3. By default, that's how the DM sends AND receives MTC to/from the DAW. And, in Logic, you'll need to set up the Device/Peripherala (or whatever it's called in that menu) to receive MTC on USB3, assigning the DM as the MTC destination. Conversely, if Logic is the MTC destination, Machine Control has to be enabled in Logic, and the DM set to Generate Internal MTC - another option in the MMC menu.

To be sure that MTC can be sent/received, check the DM's MIDI menu - that schematic screen where the MIDI 'innies' and 'outies' appear. Trace the MTC/USB3 lines, from left to right and back again. If there are any broken 'connections,' connect them back up by cursoring over to that area and hitting ENTER.

Finally, if the DM receives MTC from Logic, in the DM Automation Setup menu, you'll need to tick the MTC/USB option in the lower part of the screen. INTernal, however, is chosen when the DM is the MTC source.

I hope this is clear. Again, I'm not familiar with Logic; you'll probably want to download the DM/Logic manual for detail clarification.

CaptDan

Gary, I found the solution in first factory resetting the DM4800 , That was the Key solution !!!

My Settings after reset:
In the midi setup screen in the DM400:
On the right under host port usb:
Usb2 open
Usb4 open
Usb1 always closed thats for connecting to TMC companion
Usb5 6 7 closed
On the left depends if you have external midi gear connected. If not the can be open.

in the remote screen - machine control: M MC for Logic.
In the remote Screen - Ext.Ctrl 24MC for Logic
In the Midi setup screen USB 5-6-7-3 closed (3 is for mtc in your DAW it is called Tascam dm-4800 DM 4800MTC port)

In automation MTC(USB) on
frametype the same as the DAW

ADDED AFTERWARDS:
In DM4800 - optionscreen - upper bar display
Timecode : on
Automation Syncsource: on
END ADDED
In Logic:
Preferences - Control surfaces setup: - Mackie control - Remote port 1 (=USB5 )
Preferences - Control surfaces setup: - Mackie control Extender - Remote port 2 (=USB6 )
Preferences - Control surfaces setup: - Mackie control Extender - Remote port 3 (=USB7 )
Project Settings-synchronisation-midi:
Midi Time Code (MTC) Transmit on -> Tascam 4800MTC port
Midi Machine Control (MMC) transmit MMC: on and Listen to MMC Input: on

I think that it is importent how you start up.
first start the computer, then start DM4800, then Tascam mixer companion, then DAW, but don't use the transport buttons in TMC, see earlyer in this topic.
BTW my timecode in TMC is not working, metering does.

Hope you will succeed
Denkees

For me it's the best way. Everythings works right away, I had more problems the way araound. BTW.
Is it normal that if you assign stereo channels in the DAW they dont correspond anymore with the remote layer?

captdan said:
Really? You believe booting the computer BEFORE the DM is the right sequence?

Doesn't make any sense to me at all. .
No! It doesn't make sense, but ... I'm in the same situation. Few years ago (don't remember after what kind of upgrade ... OS? ... DM? ... IF-FW/DM? ... driver? ... firmware?) I had some stability issues and realised my system was far more stable if I booted up my PC first and only then powered on my DM. Strange! As you said: Doesn't make any sense to me at all.

As you said: Doesn't make any sense to me at all

Apologies, Gents. It's just that whenever I'd forgotten to boot my DM first, I'd experience a 'Sorry! No Audio Device Installed!' message.

Whatever works, though. ;)

CaptDan

After e few days working correct suddenly the MTC doe't work anymore. Transport keeps working. I din't change anything in the Tascam nor in the DAW (Logic). I don't have any faith in this working stable ( MTC, transport is no problem ) I bet when I factory reset the Tascam is works again, but how long ???

Has anyone tried using a USB Midi interface and then hardwire to the tascam midi ports ?
denkees

There should be no reason why this doesn't work reliably. Likely a USB conflict of some sort.

Before you add another element to the system, you might want to unplug EVERY USB device from the iMAC, and trouble shoot/test each one. The goal is to ensure that no device or system driver is interrupting, hijacking, or interfering with TMC USB port #3.;

And yes - it could very well be that booting the Mac first isn't producing stable results, too.

CaptDan

there is no other USB device connected, only the DM4800.
Again I tried both way's of booting:
When I first boot DM the FW connection is unlocked, I have to disconnect the cable and reconnect to lock.
When I first boot the MAC is is working right away.
Both methods don't show up MTC on the DM4800 anymore. And I did not change my settings. It's very frustating. To be shure that all my settings are correct does any have a working Logic template file and the Tascam project file ?
I can post mine if someone wants to test.
denkees

No USB mouse? Keyboard? And - don't forget - the DM4800 utilizes four or more USB portals. That's six potential conflicts.

Since I'm not familiar with Logic or Macs, I can't really help much more. But, I'm betting - hoping - you'll get this sorted out.

CaptDan

Hi captdan
KB and mouse is bluetooth and in dm only the ports i need are open 5 6 7 and the MTC and TMC.
thanks for your support.
Denkees

Hi Denkees,

One thing i noticed Logic is that it tends to forget settings, it might be that you just ned to reset the port again inside of Logic. Also at least on the two mac i used it on, having Logic generating the time code is not 100% stable the DM4800 i would intermittently lose lock and cause the audio to stutter. It got to the point I stopped using it all together, It may serve you better to use the Big SMPTE display inside logic.
Hope this helps
Gualterino

That's all well and good. But, if you're mixing OTB and expect to utilize the DM's mix automation engine, you'd better forget about it. Solid timecode is essential for DM mix automation control.

However, this points up another potential solution: using the DM to send MTC to Logic, by way of the Generate Internal Timecode MMC setting in the REMote menu. Undoubtedly, Logic would have to be set to RECEIVE rather than SEND MTC, and I can't advise on that. Further, I can't guarantee that, by doing this, full transport control would be maintained.

Just a thought.

CaptDan

Hi Guys,
I found out the reason my MTC suddenly did't work anymore.
Option menu -setup -upperbar display timecode was not on AUTOMATION Source.
Probably a faulty project or library setting I reloaded once. Stupid stupid !! I wil add this to my earlier posts as a reference
There is one thing a do not understand however and that's about synchronisation.
DM is the sync master ( wordclock that is transmitted through the FW card -> Logic ) and there can only be 1 masterclock.
In logic however the syncmode must be internal ????
My project settings in logic are:
Synchronisation
Tab general: sync mode: internal
auto enable externel sync : on
framerate : 25 ( same as in DM)
Validate MTC: always

Tab Audio:
Current Sync status I cannot change and it shows correct
Audio sync mode: External or Free

Tab Midi:
Transmit Midiclock: dest 1 and 2 : off
Midi Time Code (MTC) :transmit MTC on _ tascam MTC port

Everything works but it is strange to me that external sync in logic is on "internal"
I also added the sync button on the transportbar and when this button is on ( blue color) it goes off as sone as I start play and then it stays off ( internal sync )
Does that make sense ?
denkees

New threads

Members online

No members online now.