DM4800 and X48 connection via TDIF

Magnus

Gear owned
DM4800, X48, US 2x2
Hi all,

so I don't know if this post should be under the 4800 or the X48 category, but here it goes.
I got myself a X48 a few days ago, I couldn't resist, and I want to use it with my DM4800.
I'd like to connect the two of them with the TDIF connections since it probably was meant to be that way.
I mean, the two of them should be made for each other as far as I know.

From the DM4800 I've routed the inputs from M/L 1 -> CH1 etc.
Under the output the M/L1 - BUSS 1 -> TDIF etc.
They have connected to each other.
In the X48 under Options/System I have adressed that the TDIF in should be used and after that told the X48 to put the input of TDIF 1 - 8 -> Group 1 - 8.
But nothing happens. I've tried to send a signal from a microphone via the M/L1, M/L9 and M/L17 just to see if there's something going on with the cables, but no. Not a single meter on the X48 is moving.
The meterbridge on DM4800 is making a whole lot of "noise" when using the microphone.

Since I'm new to the X48, and to the DM4800 for that matter, I might of forgotten tons of buttons to push but I can't seem to figure out which ones. I've gotten the DM4800 to work with Cubase 11 PRO and also got the MTC to work. But this one I cant solve.

If anyone of you have got any ideas, please let me know.
If you need any more information, just let me know

Thank you all,
Magnus

try to use the tone generator (osc in source select) see page 68 of manual instead of a mike.

send the osc signal on buss 1 to 24 (reduce the output using pod4)

then outputs of busses on tdif outs

check the wiring of tdif cables and the connections (DM outs to X48 in's...)

check the software version on X48 - maybe reinstall the system and the updates.

by the way check if the clock (48k...) is the same on both machines.

Thank you @pdeber, the most importaint of all the tricks you mentioned, in my case, was the "check wiring of the tdif cables". It seemes like the seller of the X48 send me a bunch of analog cables since he was using it with an analog mixing console and had them connected to the expansion slot. So, in my case, the cable was the problem. When I changed the to tdif cables it all worked out just fine.
But it shure was a fine advice, too, to check that the clock on both machines were the same, since that also would make the machines not work together.

Reactions: CopyRon
Hi Magnus, nice to see you solve the problem... Cables... always a surprising world ! About the clock I have seen with a Tascam external clock that the X48 has to be adjusted manually, it is not automatic (also the frames).

Reactions: Magnus

New threads

Members online

No members online now.